Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Lane Splitting
04-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Lane Splitting
Lane Splitting

Please please please let this law go through...something needs to go right for us riders.....

LAS VEGAS -- Lane splitting is one step closer to becoming legal in Nevada with the practice already legal in states like California.

An amateur YouTube video is posted to demonstrate how lane splitting is done and it's a practice that some bikers use to squeeze through traffic that's not moving as fast as it should.

Wayne Flora is a biker and he's against any laws that would make lane splitting legal.

"Cars typically don't pay attention enough to watch for bikes to start with," Flora said. "A 3,000 pound car versus my leg, I'll stay in my lane."

Flora said all it takes is one move or lane change for a driver to send a biker crashing to the ground.

Chris Gibson drives his truck everywhere and even though it's illegal, he's seen bikers on the I-15 freeway maneuver their way through rush hour traffic.

"It's more of a safety hazard than it is an easement for the motorcyclists to get around," Gibson said. "I'm white knuckled, because I fear for that man's life because if he goes down, he's going to get hurt."

Whether Assembly Bill 236 is passed or not, Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Loy Hixson said bikers are still going to take the gamble.

"The biggest thing is, it's unsafe," Hixson said. "They will take that chance and they will do it because it will help them get to their destination quicker."

The bill has already passed the Assembly as it now heads onto the Senate.

Another part of this bill is that bikers can't go more than 10 miles an hour faster than the cars they're passing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: Lane Splitting
As much as I am for this, There are so many people here who are going to take advantage of this and make the ones who use it for the right reasons a bad wrap!

[Image: 9d765f67-981a-472a-ac7e-cd56d5c63b90_zps...1369163536]
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
(04-25-2013 12:08 AM)jZon Wrote:  As much as I am for this, There are so many people here who are going to take advantage of this and make the ones who use it for the right reasons a bad wrap!

Isn't that the case with motorcycles in general? Those same people already lane split at 90mph as is. Douchebags will be douchebags regardless of what's legal or safe.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
04-25-2013, 02:40 AM
(04-25-2013 12:32 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 12:08 AM)jZon Wrote:  As much as I am for this, There are so many people here who are going to take advantage of this and make the ones who use it for the right reasons a bad wrap!

Isn't that the case with motorcycles in general? Those same people already lane split at 90mph as is. Douchebags will be douchebags regardless of what's legal or safe.

Yeah, But passing a law like this is huge for Nevada. I see the accidents increasing.

[Image: 9d765f67-981a-472a-ac7e-cd56d5c63b90_zps...1369163536]
04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Freddy sent me an interview offer for this, I must have called too late but never heard back from them. I left a message and said that scs was for it if it was respected and enforced properly!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
04-25-2013, 07:55 AM
(04-25-2013 02:40 AM)jZon Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 12:32 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  

Yeah, But passing a law like this is huge for Nevada. I see the accidents increasing.

This.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
04-25-2013, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 08:52 AM by ars0n.)
Yup, without a doubt there will be accidents cause from this.

An increase in accidents all round?

Negative.

You will see an automatic decrease of motorcyclists not being rear-ended that will compliment the new accidents formed from the assholes who will abuse and the cagers who will deny right of passage or clearing the lane before merging (which they already do) nor unwillingly educate themselves on the new law.

I hope the new law gets passed. But I do fear that it will take a few years for cagers and moto's to get used to the change. There will be the assholes who abuse it and I hope it can be enforced.

You wont see me flying down lane splitting during slow moving traffic (bumper to bumper)

You will see me moving to the front of the line at lights to keep from being rear ended.

You will see me me lane splitting in dead stop highway or city traffic or near stop moving traffic.

And depending on the speed of the lane splitting law, you wont see me exceed it. All these for sure.

*This is if the law passes ....of course....... =D

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
(04-25-2013 08:33 AM)ars0n Wrote:  Yup, without a doubt there will be accidents cause from this.

An increase in accidents all round?

Negative.

You will see an automatic decrease of motorcyclists not being rear-ended that will compliment the new accidents formed from the assholes who will abuse and the cagers who will deny right of passage or clearing the lane before merging (which they already do) nor unwillingly educate themselves on the new law.

I hope the new law gets passed. But I do fear that it will take a few years for cagers and moto's to get used to the change. There will be the assholes who abuse it and I hope it can be enforced.

You wont see me flying down lane splitting during slow moving traffic (bumper to bumper)

You will see me moving to the front of the line at lights to keep from being rear ended.

You will see me me lane splitting in dead stop highway or city traffic or near stop moving traffic.

And depending on the speed of the lane splitting law, you wont see me exceed it. All these for sure.

*This is if the law passes ....of course....... =D

This. And as far as accidents go, I'm willing to wager 80+% of the accidents will be from asshats who already lane split illegally at high velocities. Lane splitting, like motorcycling in general, is dangerous. There's a risk that each and every one of us takes when we throw our leg over a bike. But if you conduct yourself in a precautious and respectful manner, acknowledging the risk, then you'll be fine. And by fine I mean that the risk will not increase measurably. Granted there's always a chance of you going down no matter what, but that's what the gear is for Icon_thumright

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
04-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Power to lane split, bypass cagers to get to the front of the intersection at stop lights, bypass slow moving/stopped traffic during rush hour ...kinda like spiderman

04-25-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 03:57 PM by ars0n.)
That quote can be used for sport bikes in general. We have a lot of power to weight ratio in between our legs and more than often most peoples self caused accidents are from lack of respect to not just the bike, but their well being..

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious