Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Lane Splitting
04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
RE: Lane Splitting
When you split, you're increasing vertical spacing which will allows a rider to avoid the more serious impacts due to the kinetic energy produced from impact, such as a rear end collision. However a rider decreases his or her horizontal spacing, but in the event of a collision, the force of energy from impact will be less severe since it will come from the side, with both vehicles moving at the same speed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Well unfortunately this bill that passed in the Assembly did not pass in the Senate, so we will have to wait 2 years until the Nevada Legislature meets again to hopefully get another chance at this. In glancing over many of the comments, here is my take on this.

I would gladly lane split whenever it appeared safe to do so in either slow traffic or to move ahead of stopped traffic either in the roadway or at a stop light.
Riders that are going to abuse lane splitting are already doing so.
Yes this would hopefully decrease rear-end accidents but probably increase side impacts, but 80% of all accidents happen to the front of the rider, which could be from traffic ahead suddenly stopping, but this tells me the burden still rests on the rider to prevent most accidents.
Drivers will have to be educated about allowing riders to lane split and giving them room to do so. Even when riding in CA, where it is legal, I still get occasional drivers moving over to impede lane splitting, as if they are enforcing some law or just a grade school mentality of "no cutting in line."

Better luck next time!
http://legiscan.com/NV/bill/AB236/2013
05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
sooo lame.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
05-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Too bad, it was also an alternative solution to relieve congestion. Pretty hard to convince those law makers when they probably never experience the every day life of commuting. Let a bike utilize an area of the road way that is not used.
05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Until then I'm just glad the HOV lane is always empty on the 95 from jones to horse dr., makes my ride alot smoother

2003 Yamaha R6
Motodynamic LED integrated turn signals
Gregg's Custom lisence plate bracket
Yoshimura RS-3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2013, 09:51 PM
As of:
2013-05-24 Senate Read third time. Lost. (Yeas: 5, Nays: 16.)
no luv.....

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious