Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Lane Splitting
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
RE: Lane Splitting
(04-25-2013 03:56 PM)ars0n Wrote:  That quote can be used for sport bikes in general. We have a lot of power to weight ratio in between our legs and more than often most peoples self caused accidents are from lack of respect to not just the bike, but their well being..

HUA...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
1st There is nothing worse than sitting at light or on highway watching the temp gauge on your bike go over 230 knowing that your starting to hurt the piston rings for no good reason. when this happens i safly make my way to vip lane on the right side and use it. 2nd the motorcycle cops out here lanesplit all the time on the i-15 and on the surface streets. I even have go pro video of this happening more than once. My thinking was if i were to get a ticket i would take video to court play stupid and say i thought it was legal cause so many police do it. you know lead by example and all that. 3rd there is a risk to lane spliting but its no more of a risk than normal. There is always that off chance that someone cuts you off on highway at normal speeds , or pulls out in front of you on side street. or goes from inside turn lane into out side turn lane in the middle of the turn. The idea is to be viglant at all times know that everone in a car is trying to kill you. 4th lanespliting does infact remove you from many of things that cagers do to kill motorcyclist. But one cut you off which is going to happen if its legal or not. So my thinking is risk vs reward yes please push to pass this law and dont abuse it cause the reward is higher than the risk. All were asking is for ppl in cars to look before they change lanes. I think there suposed to do that anyways. This law also puts the cars at fault if they cut you off.
04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
(04-26-2013 02:27 PM)JoshH Wrote:  1st There is nothing worse than sitting at light or on highway watching the temp gauge on your bike go over 230 knowing that your starting to hurt the piston rings for no good reason. when this happens i safly make my way to vip lane on the right side and use it. 2nd the motorcycle cops out here lanesplit all the time on the i-15 and on the surface streets. I even have go pro video of this happening more than once. My thinking was if i were to get a ticket i would take video to court play stupid and say i thought it was legal cause so many police do it. you know lead by example and all that. 3rd there is a risk to lane spliting but its no more of a risk than normal. There is always that off chance that someone cuts you off on highway at normal speeds , or pulls out in front of you on side street. or goes from inside turn lane into out side turn lane in the middle of the turn. The idea is to be viglant at all times know that everone in a car is trying to kill you. 4th lanespliting does infact remove you from many of things that cagers do to kill motorcyclist. But one cut you off which is going to happen if its legal or not. So my thinking is risk vs reward yes please push to pass this law and dont abuse it cause the reward is higher than the risk. All were asking is for ppl in cars to look before they change lanes. I think there suposed to do that anyways. This law also puts the cars at fault if they cut you off.

I hope this passes - but just a few comments on your thoughts... firstly, Cops do it for a few reasons (and I am by NO MEANS defending them in doing so) but they are riding air-cooled motorcycles and the fact of the matter is, they don't have the benefit of a radiator and fans so they HAVE to keep moving. The argument for this is that it is part of their duty. They have to minimize the risk of a breakdown in the event they have to go on a call. If I needed the cops and they couldn't show, because they were broken down I would be rather pissed - not saying its OK for them to do per say, but it is what it is.

Secondly, the playing dumb thing only works to a certain extent a,s regardless if you know the law or not, it is YOUR responsibility to know what is legal and what is not. That excuse rarely works if your already sitting in front of a judge or magistrate. The few times it does, they know you are full of shit anyway but they let it go.

All that being said, I am all for this law, whether I choose to take advantage of it or not. I sadly see too many people abusing the law in cali by using it as their own personal speeding lane.

Will there be additional accidents from this? Of course. Will there be more accidents caused by this than will be eliminated by getting rear ended? not likely. But over the course of a few years it will all work itself out.

I also tend to think that in almost every case of a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault, there is ALWAYS something the rider could have done to avoid an accident. I do fear too many people will look at this as an excuse to split lanes without due care and planning on how to do it safely with the mindset of "I'm in the right so it doesn't matter."

As far as I am concerned though, we should remove all the warning labels from everything and let nature take care of the dumb people on its own. this includes laws and especially motorcycles. Many people that ride do not posses the knowledge, or even the desire to gain knowledge, or the discipline to safely ride a motorcycle and while I would never wish an accident upon anyone, I don't tend to feel bad about one if the rider was being a jackass or didn't care enough to learn the proper technique / skills / knowledge and discipline.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
(04-26-2013 02:27 PM)JoshH Wrote:  2nd the motorcycle cops out here lanesplit all the time on the i-15 and on the surface streets. I even have go pro video of this happening more than once. My thinking was if i were to get a ticket i would take video to court play stupid and say i thought it was legal cause so many police do it. you know lead by example and all that.

Not that I agree with it but:
NRS 486.351 Unlawful passing; driving abreast.
1. A person, except a police officer in the performance of his or her duty, shall not drive a motorcycle or moped between moving or stationary vehicles occupying adjacent traffic lanes.
2. Except as provided in subsection 3, a person shall not drive a motorcycle, moped or trimobile abreast of or overtake or pass another vehicle within the same traffic lane.
04-27-2013, 12:06 AM
(04-26-2013 04:05 PM)That Guy Wrote:  As far as I am concerned though, we should remove all the warning labels from everything and let nature take care of the dumb people on its own. this includes laws and especially motorcycles. Many people that ride do not posses the knowledge, or even the desire to gain knowledge, or the discipline to safely ride a motorcycle and while I would never wish an accident upon anyone, I don't tend to feel bad about one if the rider was being a jackass or didn't care enough to learn the proper technique / skills / knowledge and discipline.

- Justin

You mean like thiiiiiiiiis?

[Image: h56E3CF25]
[Image: motorcycle-crash.gif]

Warning, if you have a weak stomach Don't click!

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
04-27-2013, 05:43 AM
There will be crashes while lane splitting if this law passes but keep this in mind, they will be crashes, not likely fatalities. This law will allow riders to lane split legally under low speed conditions. If there is a crash it will be at a low rate of speed if the rider is following the law, and it will most likely be just a minor incident rather than a major one, IMO. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

On top of the 2013 FJR1300AD©, or FIONA as I call her.
04-27-2013, 06:55 AM
(04-26-2013 04:05 PM)That Guy Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 02:27 PM)JoshH Wrote:  1st There is nothing worse than sitting at light or on highway watching the temp gauge on your bike go over 230 knowing that your starting to hurt the piston rings for no good reason. when this happens i safly make my way to vip lane on the right side and use it. 2nd the motorcycle cops out here lanesplit all the time on the i-15 and on the surface streets. I even have go pro video of this happening more than once. My thinking was if i were to get a ticket i would take video to court play stupid and say i thought it was legal cause so many police do it. you know lead by example and all that. 3rd there is a risk to lane spliting but its no more of a risk than normal. There is always that off chance that someone cuts you off on highway at normal speeds , or pulls out in front of you on side street. or goes from inside turn lane into out side turn lane in the middle of the turn. The idea is to be viglant at all times know that everone in a car is trying to kill you. 4th lanespliting does infact remove you from many of things that cagers do to kill motorcyclist. But one cut you off which is going to happen if its legal or not. So my thinking is risk vs reward yes please push to pass this law and dont abuse it cause the reward is higher than the risk. All were asking is for ppl in cars to look before they change lanes. I think there suposed to do that anyways. This law also puts the cars at fault if they cut you off.

I hope this passes - but just a few comments on your thoughts... firstly, Cops do it for a few reasons (and I am by NO MEANS defending them in doing so) but they are riding air-cooled motorcycles and the fact of the matter is, they don't have the benefit of a radiator and fans so they HAVE to keep moving. The argument for this is that it is part of their duty. They have to minimize the risk of a breakdown in the event they have to go on a call. If I needed the cops and they couldn't show, because they were broken down I would be rather pissed - not saying its OK for them to do per say, but it is what it is.

Secondly, the playing dumb thing only works to a certain extent a,s regardless if you know the law or not, it is YOUR responsibility to know what is legal and what is not. That excuse rarely works if your already sitting in front of a judge or magistrate. The few times it does, they know you are full of shit anyway but they let it go.

All that being said, I am all for this law, whether I choose to take advantage of it or not. I sadly see too many people abusing the law in cali by using it as their own personal speeding lane.

Will there be additional accidents from this? Of course. Will there be more accidents caused by this than will be eliminated by getting rear ended? not likely. But over the course of a few years it will all work itself out.

I also tend to think that in almost every case of a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault, there is ALWAYS something the rider could have done to avoid an accident. I do fear too many people will look at this as an excuse to split lanes without due care and planning on how to do it safely with the mindset of "I'm in the right so it doesn't matter."

As far as I am concerned though, we should remove all the warning labels from everything and let nature take care of the dumb people on its own. this includes laws and especially motorcycles. Many people that ride do not posses the knowledge, or even the desire to gain knowledge, or the discipline to safely ride a motorcycle and while I would never wish an accident upon anyone, I don't tend to feel bad about one if the rider was being a jackass or didn't care enough to learn the proper technique / skills / knowledge and discipline.

- Justin

I have to agree with the things you said. But the wording of the law you put up there is intresting to me. In preforming there dutys like with the gumballs on pulling some one over or going to a call yes by all means please lane split. But just to have a back stage pass and not have to follow the law cause you are the person enforceing it is not right. I like how the police do not have to follow the traffic laws that they are payed to enforce in this state and many others. Maybe the police should be spending 13,500 to 20,000 on a nice water cooled sportbike or cruzer instead of 50,000 on a aircooled harly. Bet they would have more fun to. See I just saved the city a bunch of money looks like more overtime boys. Just my 2 cents. I like how people are respectful of others opinions one this site its nice to see. Great Thread. Has any one heard of the new stoplight law for bikes that is proposed as well.
04-27-2013, 07:01 AM
(04-27-2013 06:55 AM)JoshH Wrote:  
(04-26-2013 04:05 PM)That Guy Wrote:  

- Justin

I have to agree with the things you said. But the wording of the law you put up there is intresting to me. In preforming there dutys like with the gumballs on pulling some one over or going to a call yes by all means please lane split. But just to have a back stage pass and not have to follow the law cause you are the person enforceing it is not right. I like how the police do not have to follow the traffic laws that they are payed to enforce in this state and many others. Maybe the police should be spending 13,500 to 20,000 on a nice water cooled sportbike or cruzer instead of 50,000 on a aircooled harly. Bet they would have more fun to. See I just saved the city a bunch of money looks like more overtime boys. Just my 2 cents. I like how people are respectful of others opinions one this site its nice to see. Great Thread. Has any one heard of the new stoplight law for bikes that is proposed as well.
I never said that I agree with it all the time. Like I said, it is how it is. And yes, I have often wondered why they chose air cooled bikes in the middle of the fucking desert? makes no sense but as most police departments go in the US, vehicles have to be american (or at lease should be by their standards - some patriotic thing)... some, like NLV run BMWs (although NLV police are now run by Metro is im not mistaken). I think they should all be outfitted with Honda interceptors. water cooled, 1/2 the cost of a bmw and frankly, more reliable, but its government - the same people with the mentality of why buy only one when you can buy 2 for twice as much! It isnt their money they are spending, its the tax payers so why should they care?

I spoke to a motorcycle cop one time in a parking lot and asked him how they deal with the heat in the summer and he said it is rough, and they usually have to shut down at lights and in bad traffic. None of them like the Harleys according to this officer.

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

04-27-2013, 07:02 AM
oh, and it could be argued that a normal patrol is considered performing in the line of duty. It is, after all, their duty to patrol so one could argue all day on that fact and not get anywhere.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

04-27-2013, 08:46 AM
One thing that I haven't seen posted here is officer safety. Many traffic cops can be easy targets for any hooligan out to prove a point using a cop as an example. Rather than sitting in between cars where they can be easy targets, they move to the front of the line. Not only for safety reasons, but if they do get a call they can respond a few seconds quicker. Also, I have heard from many cops, that they don't like cruising along and having a car cruise parallel to them. Call them paranoid, but many cops have been shot at while sitting in traffic.

I agree with howie on this. More accidents, less fatalities. Either way, by passing this law, the state needs to do their part and raise awareness about motorcycles splitting lanes. If awareness for caters isn't raised, more low speed incidents while splitting lanes will occur.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious