Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Coolant temps
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Coolant temps
What temps are you seeing during these hotter months? I was sitting at a light after some slown 2nd gear traffic, and I noticed my temp gauge indicating 238. Fan was on and running water with Water Wetter. Little high, I know the overheat light comes on at 245, but not sure if it's a cooling issue or just the fact that the cooling system on a typical sportbike can't handle the heat generated by the engine plus the 105+ ambient and the radiation from the asphalt (used a IR gun to read asphalt temp of 157 at work on Friday at 1pm).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
RE: Coolant temps
My Gixxer gets up around 225 or so... the fan cuts on at 220. Of course, once I get moving, it's all good.
07-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah my fan turns on at 220 too but it just slows the climb down, I have a feeling if I sat long enough it would overheat. I've flushed it and bled the air so not sure what else to do, if anything.
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
(07-30-2012 03:06 PM)ridethebigone Wrote:  What temps are you seeing during these hotter months? I was sitting at a light after some slown 2nd gear traffic, and I noticed my temp gauge indicating 238. Fan was on and running water with Water Wetter. Little high, I know the overheat light comes on at 245, but not sure if it's a cooling issue or just the fact that the cooling system on a typical sportbike can't handle the heat generated by the engine plus the 105+ ambient and the radiation from the asphalt (used a IR gun to read asphalt temp of 157 at work on Friday at 1pm).

Sounds about right.
As long as the overheat light doesn't come on, or flashing (if your has that), then its ok.

Yes, they are not that great at cooling themselves when stopped.
If your A/F ratio has been changed at idle RPM's, that might have an effect.

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
(07-30-2012 03:52 PM)vegaseric Wrote:  My Gixxer gets up around 225 or so... the fan cuts on at 220. Of course, once I get moving, it's all good.

+1. Mine will touch 230 if I'm sitting at the longer lights but I noticed with the water wetter it cools down a lot faster than it did with the regular coolant.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
07-31-2012, 05:25 AM
same mine sits at about 217-225 at a stop light just depending on the length and time of day.
07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I've noticed it transfers heat faster with Water Wetter too. I do have a BMC race filter and Yoshi slip-on without any tuning which could alter my A/F ratio into the lean which would mean hotter temps. Maybe I should get a tune at Dyno Tech...

Thanks.
07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
(07-31-2012 12:26 PM)ridethebigone Wrote:  I've noticed it transfers heat faster with Water Wetter too. I do have a BMC race filter and Yoshi slip-on without any tuning which could alter my A/F ratio into the lean which would mean hotter temps. Maybe I should get a tune at Dyno Tech...

Thanks.

I have a slip-on with no tune and I haven't seen any appreciable difference in temps.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
AT the lights mine hits 225. riding around town its at 187

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:I have a slip-on with no tune and I haven't seen any appreciable difference in temps.

With just the slip-on I didn't see a change, thinking back it's after I added the BMC race filter. I bet it's a tad lean.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious