Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Coolant temps
08-06-2012, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 02:49 PM by ars0n.)
RE: Coolant temps
Dunno how old your bike is, but your intake is not going to vary the temp of your engine that much. Ive gone through slipons K&M filters and dyno tune and never noticed a fluctuation in my temps..

Here is what is happening...

More than likely your thermostat is about to fail or is failing. (easy check, pull the hose, unscrew the bolt, take it out, put it in boiling water and see what happens. (opens or closes)

Your temp/fan switch isnt coming on at the right times. Allowing the water to heat up more then it would if the fan came on on the right time..

Air in radiator or hole in radiator lines..

Ratio to water + coolant is wrong...

Bad rad cap...

There isnt much to your cooling system in a bike. As long as you dont see oil and or coolant in your oil. Its probably one of the things I mentioned above.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
k&n filter and a slip-on no change in temp

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
(08-06-2012 02:24 PM)ars0n Wrote:  Dunno how old your bike is, but your intake is not going to vary the temp of your engine that much. Ive gone through slipons K&M filters and dyno tune and never noticed a fluctuation in my temps..

Here is what is happening...

More than likely your thermostat is about to fail or is failing. (easy check, pull the hose, unscrew the bolt, take it out, put it in boiling water and see what happens. (opens or closes)

Your temp/fan switch isnt coming on at the right times. Allowing the water to heat up more then it would if the fan came on on the right time..

Air in radiator or hole in radiator lines..

Ratio to water + coolant is wrong...

Bad rad cap...

There isnt much to your cooling system in a bike. As long as you dont see oil and or coolant in your oil. Its probably one of the things I mentioned above.

^+1. The system needs maintenance just like anything else
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
T stat opens fine, coolant temp sensor replaced last year (it was faulty and the fan wouldn't kick on, temps got up to 245), fan comes on at 220, water wetter ratio is good, system has been purged, good cap... bike is an '04 with 14,500mi
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
+1 on radiator cap... simplest of all to check / change... and when they fail to hold pressure your system fails
08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
It holds, if it's on and I take the drain plug out it will just barely drip a few drops, hence system is pressurized.
08-09-2012, 02:13 PM

I bet the Motorcycle is a Honda! Wink The 04 Hondas dont dissipate the excessive heat as quickly as some manufacturers. Especially if its an 04 Honda CBR600 RR! I had one and mine did the same thing. My bike always ran a little warmer than my friend's/customers Suzukis, Kawis, etc. Typically it ran about 235 Deg F' when it was hot out! Especially if it was hot and humid! If your bike is an 04 CBR, I wouldnt worry about it. Ive seen plenty of other customer Hondas, similar year make and model do the exact same thing! If it gets worse, I would say cracked or warpped head or faulty head gasket! Are you having any boil up in your over flow tank? Not likely but I would watch the overflow occasionally to be on the safe side!

If you have questions give us a call.

(702) 228-4327
08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the overflow but so far everything is working fine, just not able to cope with the extremities of Vegas apparently.
08-11-2012, 11:09 AM
(08-09-2012 12:19 PM)ridethebigone Wrote:  It holds, if it's on and I take the drain plug out it will just barely drip a few drops, hence system is pressurized.

Not always the case. Last week at the track, after one of my sessions I noticed water pissing out of my overflow. I checked the temp and it was around 228. Now I am running distilled water with water wetter. If your running a similar set up then your boiling point will be about the same. Now if your running straight coolant, then your boiling point will be much higher. Probably around 250-260. If your getting stuff from your overflow at a lower temperature than that, then your radiator cap is likely not holding its pressure. IT wouldn't hurt anything just to change it out. Like green dragon said, its the easiest fix and probably one of the most vital parts of your system.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree with Jet Mech. I didnt see that you are running water weter until he posted the last post. It will lower boiling point. Im telling you though, the 04/05 RR always runs a bit warm. If the overflow isnt acting up, leave it and watch for changing systems with temp and overflow.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious