Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Winter Riding In Boise
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 08:58 PM by VEGASRIDER.)
Winter Riding In Boise
Just be glad that you don't have to ride in this and in single digit temps!
I've ridden everyday while I've been up here, yes, my bike is my only ride. But I did pick up an Enduro for the really bad snowy days. Much more forgiving when it comes to trying to save the bike from going down. Learning a lot riding in frigid temps with bad surface condition. No such thing as leaning the bke when it gets this cold and I have pretty much ditched the front brake. Tires are probably rock hard. Couldn't do it without my heated gear.

[Image: P1020214.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0071_zps8ee9dd93.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
RE: Winter Riding In Boise
I'll bet those people think you're insane!
01-06-2013, 06:47 AM
If you go to the hardware store, pick up about 200 small, 3/8 or 1/2 inch (depending on lug thickness on your tire) sheet metal screws an using a drill with a socket on the end, run them into the lugs on your d/s tire. Rear tire takes about 200 and if you are really brave do the same to your front. Ride like normal on ice. Dry pavement be becomes interesting tho. Maybe grab a second set of wheels and rubber so you can swap .

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
(01-06-2013 06:47 AM)MVBrutaleRider Wrote:  If you go to the hardware store, pick up about 200 small, 3/8 or 1/2 inch (depending on lug thickness on your tire) sheet metal screws an using a drill with a socket on the end, run them into the lugs on your d/s tire. Rear tire takes about 200 and if you are really brave do the same to your front. Ride like normal on ice. Dry pavement be becomes interesting tho. Maybe grab a second set of wheels and rubber so you can swap .

- J

Will that work? I have tried to get my tires studded but none of the tire shops will do it for me, liability I guess. Motorcycle shops won't do it either. I don't want buy a stud gun just for one time use. Or maybe two if got the FZ studded.

By the FZ is still running good and the forks are good!
01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
(01-06-2013 04:11 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 06:47 AM)MVBrutaleRider Wrote:  If you go to the hardware store, pick up about 200 small, 3/8 or 1/2 inch (depending on lug thickness on your tire) sheet metal screws an using a drill with a socket on the end, run them into the lugs on your d/s tire. Rear tire takes about 200 and if you are really brave do the same to your front. Ride like normal on ice. Dry pavement be becomes interesting tho. Maybe grab a second set of wheels and rubber so you can swap .

- J

Will that work? I have tried to get my tires studded but none of the tire shops will do it for me, liability I guess. Motorcycle shops won't do it either. I don't want buy a stud gun just for one time use. Or maybe two if got the FZ studded.

By the FZ is still running good and the forks are good!
It does work... the only catch to it is that it destroys handling on dry pavement (metal and pavement dont play well) and they do occasionally fall out (potentially leaving shrapnel in the roads).

The trick is that you want the longest possible screw (again, sheetmetal screws with the slotted hex heads) but make sure they are not too long as to protrude into the tire and potentially pop the tube. Just enough to dig firmly into the lugs of the tires (see pic)

I wouldnt do it to your FZ. Tubless tires are a whole different game and require installation from the inside out and must be drilled first, then bolt (stud) installed and a nut on the end tightened to ensure a good air seal.

If you are only using the studed tires on the bad days then go for it. If you plan to use them all the time I would suggest against it and find another method. Mind you, This is the poor mans way to do it. You can actually buy proper MC tire studs but they are pricey and the only real difference is that the threads are larger and deeper to bite into more of the tire (less chance of them coming out)

See the attachment of my studded tire that I did last weekend. This one is probably overkill for your needs as you are just looking for a little something more. This took me about 35 minutes with a power drill and a nut driver attachment for it.

- Justin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

- Ken "No Neck"

01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Okay, got really bad today. Like a moron, I left my Enduro at home and took the FZ. Snowed all freaking day. Here's what it looked like looking out the window from work in the early afternoon, only got worse.

[Image: IMG_0073_zps4e341696.jpg].

From my gargage after I made it home incident free.

[Image: P1020215_zps8cd98caf.jpg]

Really got nasty once I entered the side streets. Crappy cell phone pic.

[Image: IMG_0076.jpg]

Did manage to get some time on the Enduro on the white stuff.

[Image: P1020216_zps34202c5a.jpg]
03-30-2013, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 08:47 PM by VEGASRIDER.)
Well spring is finally here up here in Idaho and I have survived the coldest winter here in the past 20 years. Over 30 straight days with snow on the ground and zero degree temps for the low over a week.

I could have not done it without my carbide tip studded tires on my bike.

[Image: Rear.jpg]

Picture of the roadway when it was freezing rain on the way to work one morning.

[Image: Ice.jpg]

And my helmet after my ride to work. My gear was all crunchy with ice. Next winter, I'm going to get a helmet that comes with a double heated pane visor, similar to snowmobile helmets.

[Image: Helmet-1.jpg]

Here's what your bike looks like trying to warm up when it's zero degrees.

[Image: P1020217.jpg]
03-31-2013, 06:29 AM
Your bad ass, and I'm not being facetious. I can't do below 45 degrees.Confused

I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar.
03-31-2013, 07:21 AM
I agree with Doug. You are truly a legend!
03-31-2013, 07:55 AM
better you than me. Been there, done that in Colorado. You can keep it, I'll stick with my mild Vegas winters.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious