Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Where to get fork springs replaced at?
03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Question Where to get fork springs replaced at?
Hey guys & girls!

I believe I'm finally going to get my front fork springs replaced in my R1. Who would you guys suggest to have it done by here in Vegas?

I was considering RaceTech (and still might buy their springs and just bring it to whatever shop I'm going to have do the work), but last time I had their "Vegas guy" setup my R1 suspension when I first got it, he had NO CLUE how to setup sportbike suspension what so ever. So, if it's the same guy (I'll call, just to verify, but it looks like it on the website), there is no way I'm having him touch the internals of my R1's forks.

I want someone that I (and others have) can trust to replace my fork springs.

So, any info would be appreciated. Smile

If you can't beat 'em...shoot 'em! Rofl2

South Bay Photography
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: Where to get fork springs replaced at?
Easy.

If you need someone to do it for you:

Steve @ Las Vegas DynoTech
Dave @ Cycle Tech

If you can take the forks off the bike and bring those, then labor will be cheaper, and they can probably do it while you wait,

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Do em yourself... Takes 10 minutes and they don't have to come off the bike. If ya need help, I can help after Sunday. I have done them numerous times. If your doing more than springs you will need to RR the forks.

In terms of setup, no clue. I am set the forks back to how they were before, but after that I don't know shit about setup and tuning.

Check with Steve at dyno tech or Jourdan at geared up if you don't wanna do em yourself.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah, just take them over to That Guy's house. That Guy is great with DIY stuff.

HAHAHA, Just so we are clear this STILL hasn't gotten old.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
(03-06-2013 10:59 PM)That Guy Wrote:  Do em yourself... Takes 10 minutes and they don't have to come off the bike. If ya need help, I can help after Sunday. I have done them numerous times. If your doing more than springs you will need to RR the forks.

In terms of setup, no clue. I am set the forks back to how they were before, but after that I don't know shit about setup and tuning.

Check with Steve at dyno tech or Jourdan at geared up if you don't wanna do em yourself.

- J

He'll need a fork compression tool to do it himself, and I've done mine while on the bike, but wont d that again. The fork compression tool scratches random stuff, and you need typically to disassemble clipons and/or brake/cluch levers/perches/reservoirs for the tool to be used.

You can get creative, but on these bikes, not worth it. Easier to take out the forks.

Its also better when replacing the fork oil...you can drain easier, and fill/measure properly. And, if you are doing this, oil change is recommended, as well as fork seals (if its been a while).

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
03-07-2013, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 06:43 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
(03-06-2013 11:05 PM)got2go Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 10:59 PM)That Guy Wrote:  Do em yourself... Takes 10 minutes and they don't have to come off the bike. If ya need help, I can help after Sunday. I have done them numerous times. If your doing more than springs you will need to RR the forks.

- J

He'll need a fork compression tool to do it himself, and I've done mine while on the bike, but wont d that again. The fork compression tool scratches random stuff, and you need typically to disassemble clipons and/or brake/cluch levers/perches/reservoirs for the tool to be used.

You can get creative, but on these bikes, not worth it. Easier to take out the forks.

Its also better when replacing the fork oil...you can drain easier, and fill/measure properly. And, if you are doing this, oil change is recommended, as well as fork seals (if its been a while).

I have never needed a fork or spring compressor for fork springs... perhaps you do on kawis, but i have been into everything from inverted and conventional dirtbike forks, my MV forks inverted, cruiser forks, both inverted and conventional, sportbike forks (honda, yamaha) inverted and conventional and triumph forks inverted. Depending on the fork, sometimes you gotta pull the wheel to access the bolt on the bottom.

I could be wrong. there is always ways around it though with a little creativity. Nothing wrong with doing them on the bike if you can.. It can get a little messy at times and obviously if you are changing oil or anything else, you will need to pull the forks but if its just a simple spring change and a top off of oil you dont need to pull em.

I wouldnt worry about seals unless yours have a problem already. But thats just me. I have always been on a tight budget so for me if it aint broke, i didnt fix it. your call though. Im here to lend a hand. several board members can attest to my abilities.

Again though, I claim no ability in tuning them for you - but i can get them back to OE spec for you.

I dont know though. I have learned in my wrenching that there is "right" way to do something, then there is the way you do it. rarely are the 2 the same. most seasoned mechanics will tell you the same.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
If you have USD forks you need a compressor, not on a dirtbike, but on a sportbike (at least for SHOWA which is what Honda uses, not sure if Yamaha uses that or KYB). I had to change the fronts on my 600RR to match my weight, needed a 1.0kg/mm rate, I afro rigged a compressor out of some angle iron, cut the shit outta my hands and had to have help to get the damper rod threaded onto the underside of the fork cap, fuck it was a pain in the ass and hands. Hindsight I would either spend a little more time fabricating a good compressor or just buy one, when the springs are that stiff and short it gets fucking hard.
03-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Just my 2ยข, When dealing with a high performance machine that will be operated quite frequently in triple digit speeds, do not risk it! Let a professional handle it.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure that it is worth watching
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Freddy - Thanks for the info. Smile I'll give them a shout and see what the pricing looks like for labor. I was thinking of ordering the RT springs and then just taking the forks in (I'll pull them from the bike, no problem there) with the springs and having them done.

Ridethebigone - My R1 has KYB forks (43U's) and they are pretty much like Showas from my understanding. You have to compress the spring approximately 50mm or more to get to a nut partly down the shaft to remove everything. The stock springs (0.93 kg/mm) are progressive type springs, so there is a little more give when you remove them, but still a pain in the butt. (this is directly from R1 guys that have done a bunch of them) Worse yet when you put in "real" springs (non-progressive), such as the RT springs, with a high rate like I need (1.0 kg/mm - like you had to get), it's even harder to compress it that 50mm+ to put the nut back on to put everything back together. I usually love to work on my own bike, but there are points when buying the tools to do it the right way without messing things up (as Freddy pointed out) ends up costing as much or more than having a pro do it.

Plus, on top of it all, my bike is an 05, I'll bet that my forks have probably never been opened, so if I'm having my springs replaced, I want all that old fork oil out and cleaned up. I may or may not have the seals replaced because they aren't currently leaking or showing any signs of issues, however, while they are in there, I might as well have them replaced. So, I might buy new fork seals from the dealer and bring those along as well. Hopefully it shouldn't be much more labor cost to replace the fork seals while they are doing everything else, but then again, maybe it will be.

I got general pricing from RT's website, but, of course, they are in SoCal. Plus that cost was to go through the forks and make sure everything is clean and in tip top shape and all that jazz. But I hope that either Cycle Tech or LVDT will be close. If so, I might be returning as soon as I can buy the rear shock spring and get that replaced as well. Smile

South Bay Photography
03-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Well, they are now at the shop. Should be done tomorrow (Thursday). Can't wait to see how the R1 handles once the forks are done. Smile

South Bay Photography

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious