Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
New Motorcycle engine break in
11-01-2015, 11:13 AM
New Motorcycle engine break in
So I have a friend that is buying a brand new sport bike (0 miles), and is looking for info on running the motor in properly. We have both been looking on the internet and there seems to be a lot a conflicting info.
1. rpm range
2. how many miles
3. oil changes
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: New Motorcycle engine break in
Ride it like he's going to ride.

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
11-01-2015, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 01:28 PM by ars0n.)
I rode it under the rpm for the miles stated usually 500-600 or your first oil change.. once I broke 250 I would ease it over the RPM range, eventually going higher and higher.. but didnt hit Redline until alfter the break in period. I think each bike has specific break in rules...follow them and you shouldnt have any problems..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
11-01-2015, 04:03 PM
I've even heard of some of the manufacturers' racing teams breaking in new engines on the dyno. I'd do the same if I ever bought a brand-new bike.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/scenes/be...break-bike
11-01-2015, 07:43 PM
what kind of bike? Many of the higher end bikes already are broken in before the motor even meets the frame.

and for new bikes, ive always been a "run-in" kinda guy, instead of a "break-in" kinda guy... meaning just ride the damn thing. you don't need to abuse it off the bat, but don't need to pussy foot it either. change your oil around 500 miles using a full synthetic and be done with it.

but again, most higher end bikes, even some of the higher performance jap bikes already have a run-in motor.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
11-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the input folks. Seems to me just use common sense. I'll pass the info along.

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
11-06-2015, 07:03 AM
So how is your "friend" liking that new gixxer.... errrmm sportbike that "he" got?

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
11-06-2015, 03:19 PM
So ya, my "friend" seems to be very happy with his selection and all the input. "He" says to say THANK YA ALL!!

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
11-06-2015, 04:03 PM
lol funny guyyyy!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
11-07-2015, 07:17 PM
I've heard speed variation is important, so a combination of city and highway riding to break it in would be recommended.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious