Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
New Helmet
10-13-2013, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 01:56 AM by nvryder.)
New Helmet
So, I ended up dropping my Icon Decay helmet the other day at work. One of the plastic pieces fell off and looks like I'm in the market for a new one. The one I had was about 4 years old and I know the safety factor is compromised after a drop.

I rolled by Ridenow to price out some. The helmet guy was very helpful. One of the helmets he had me try on was the Bell RS-1 (approx $400). I was surprised at the quality of the newer Bell models. I was always familiar with Bell with their Walmart line up, which made me look elsewhere under normal circumstances. But according to the sales guy, the newer models are comparable with Shoei. I'm not gonna lie, the Laguna Seca helmet was very light and comfortable.

Afterward I rolled by cyclegear. They were having a sale on their Shoei 1100s (approx $450). Ya can't go wrong with Shoei and it will be my first. I ended up ordering one from another store and expect it early this coming week.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2013, 05:58 AM
RE: New Helmet
I don't think you can go wrong with ether helmet. I'd go with the one that fit better. If both fit the same I'd go for features and looks.

I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar.
10-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Schuberth C3 Pro is the best of the best right now, modular though, not for everyone.

Also, It's not accurate that after you drop it that it's not usable. If it was a hard fall from 10 feet or something that's a bit different but dropping it off of a table or off your bike, while not riding doesn't do anything but scratch it. The material inside is meant to cushion your head during an impact so it compresses the material which is essentially one time only then you need to replace it. This was actually taught at the MSF.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet
10-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Shoei is the helmet to have. They sell different thickness pads to really customize your fit. They even have a free inspection service if you damage your helmet. Just send it in and they will inspect and send it back with a letter staying their findings. Which model, color? I might be on the market for a new one.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Depends on your head. Shoei's don't fit me. Arai's fit perfectly. I've also tried on the Bell RS-1 and had I not gotten the Arai that I have for a smokin deal, I would have gone with the Bell. Bell also makes a photochromatic visor, which is clear, but darkens when in the presence of UV light. Basically Transitions Lenses, but for your helmet. Which is awesome.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
10-15-2013, 02:36 PM
(10-13-2013 07:52 AM)LVNeptune Wrote:  Schuberth C3 Pro is the best of the best right now, modular though, not for everyone.

Also, It's not accurate that after you drop it that it's not usable. If it was a hard fall from 10 feet or something that's a bit different but dropping it off of a table or off your bike, while not riding doesn't do anything but scratch it. The material inside is meant to cushion your head during an impact so it compresses the material which is essentially one time only then you need to replace it. This was actually taught at the MSF.

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aDroppedHelmet

Good to know. I just went on what I was told by my riding course several years back in TX. Also, some of the plastic air flow vents on it broke and it's about 4 years old. According to the helmet guys at Ride now and Cyclegear, helmets should be replaced at about 5 years....
10-15-2013, 02:38 PM
(10-13-2013 12:59 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Depends on your head. Shoei's don't fit me. Arai's fit perfectly. I've also tried on the Bell RS-1 and had I not gotten the Arai that I have for a smokin deal, I would have gone with the Bell. Bell also makes a photochromatic visor, which is clear, but darkens when in the presence of UV light. Basically Transitions Lenses, but for your helmet. Which is awesome.

Yeah, I was told about the visor as well. Seems cool. Apparently, Bell has the patent on that, I think? Apparently, the company that makes the photochromatic visor only makes them for Bell.....
10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
(10-15-2013 02:38 PM)nvryder Wrote:  
(10-13-2013 12:59 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Depends on your head. Shoei's don't fit me. Arai's fit perfectly. I've also tried on the Bell RS-1 and had I not gotten the Arai that I have for a smokin deal, I would have gone with the Bell. Bell also makes a photochromatic visor, which is clear, but darkens when in the presence of UV light. Basically Transitions Lenses, but for your helmet. Which is awesome.

Yeah, I was told about the visor as well. Seems cool. Apparently, Bell has the patent on that, I think? Apparently, the company that makes the photochromatic visor only makes them for Bell.....

Shoei is actually coming out with the same type of visor, not sure if it's for all their line or just the new rf 1200's.

Buy my stuff lol Shoei RF1100 faceshields for sale (should fit x12s too)

Bilt and teknic mesh jacket (small)

http://scsportbikes.org/Thread-Harbor-Fr...ess-12-ton

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious