Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Mesh for headlights
06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
RE: Mesh for headlights
I will admit that I may have wired something wrong.. Along with adding LED's I also installed an undercowl and removed all of the tail end. The new tail did come with LED's and about 5 wires on each side.

Needless to say I did put in the relay and thats when all of the blinkers went from not working to now all 4 blinking like hazards.

I think I frustrated myself enough at this point that I'll just use hand signals when turning (hate it)..

Are you guys going on Sunday's ride? I'm going to try and make it...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2013, 06:56 PM
I always though that LEDs allowed a bigger load on the flasher thus the current overcomes the spring pressure faster than it would using a conventional bulb because LEDs have a much lower resistance. I could be wrong, but I will agree it is a bandaid. Usually retro-fit kits will come with resistors built in and some of the higher end kits will include them as well as an option. Either way an electronic flasher will be a much better fix. That guy is a little more modern than I am. Good suggestion Justin!

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
06-29-2013, 04:30 AM
(06-28-2013 06:56 PM)JetMech Wrote:  I always though that LEDs allowed a bigger load on the flasher thus the current overcomes the spring pressure faster than it would using a conventional bulb because LEDs have a much lower resistance. I could be wrong, but I will agree it is a bandaid. Usually retro-fit kits will come with resistors built in and some of the higher end kits will include them as well as an option. Either way an electronic flasher will be a much better fix. That guy is a little more modern than I am. Good suggestion Justin!

LEDs themselves do not put a large load on the system at all and thus is why the flashers go faster... they reach their maximum resistance MUCH faster because it is not used up by the lights as quickly. The flashers dont add more resistance at all. They are calibrated to X amount of ohms and when the current is allowed to free flow essentially, they perform faster - or sometimes not at all depending on the flasher design. Remember that circuits, unless shorted, only take what they need for power so the load never changes on the flasher, only how quickly it reaches that load.

Most modern LED flashers dont actually have resistors - even high end kits. This is old tech. Now they are using, usually, a proprietary constant current driver built into the circuitry. Think a step-down transformer if you will - only in solid state form. This method, while very efficient and cool running as opposed to heat dissipating resistors, puts nearly a direct short on the circuit and provide VERY little load. Resistors are great for regulating voltage and current on a constant source but vehicle source voltage is NEVER constant thus the digital switching drivers are used instead.

LVBrokr - sometime when its not scalding hot outside i would be happy to have a look and see if we cant sort it out. I have built many wiring harnesses from scratch so sorting out some blinker issues should be relatively easy if you have the understanding of it all.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
06-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Well thank you That Guy. I should just stick to doing mortgages and once you see what I've done you'll agree. X_x

I will def take you up on that offer and perhaps learn a thing or 2.
06-29-2013, 07:01 AM
I just had an A HA moment. This is why I don't do avionics.

06-29-2013, 07:03 AM
(06-29-2013 07:01 AM)JetMech Wrote:  I just had an A HA moment. This is why I don't do avionics.

hahaha... dont get me wrong here... I actually have no idea why this stuff (electronics) works. None. I just know that it does and what happens when (insert scenario here).

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

06-29-2013, 07:07 AM
If i had a few brews in me I would likely be explaining ohms law by now too... and then watts and that relation to ohms and current/voltage and how all that jargin works, but alas, it is but 8 in the morning and I *usually* dont start drinking that early. Give me a few more hours. LOL

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

06-29-2013, 07:30 AM
LOL!!! You bring me back to my early days in aviation when I used to do avionics. Mainly because no one understood the stuff. I couldn't keep up with all the upgrades nor did I want to. A new avionics systems meant I had to go sit in a classroom for two weeks and be expected to remember something. They have some pretty fancy stuff in some of these new airplanes. Screw that. Let me know when you start drinking. I'll have one too.

06-29-2013, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 08:41 AM by ars0n.)
lil elves control everything..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
06-29-2013, 01:17 PM
(06-29-2013 08:40 AM)ars0n Wrote:  lil elves control everything..

This. The Kawasaki elves are just particularly ill tempered. Have you tried an animal sacrifice?

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious