Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Mechanics day
07-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Mechanics day
Ok so when do you guys get together for a mechanics day?
Meaning a day where you work in a bike for everyone to watch and learn?

So here's the reason. My right fork seal is dry rotted and leaking oil. I just noticed yesterday that its gotten worse and is now leaking on my front rotor ( no bueno).

I'd like to remove them both and take them in somewhere to get done but I most certainly don't want to attempt this myself as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

Beer, pizza, chicks in bikinis will be provided along with a pat on the back.

Is this something anybody with the knowledge wants to help with?
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2013, 07:01 AM
RE: Mechanics day
Damn! chicks in bikinis even. Normally we do have Tech Days for "Members only" (and yes you need to have the highly fashionable mid-90's iconic brand jacket to attend). There are plenty of people on here who can do a fork seal. In some instances we have invited nom members but I believe those were special invites only. But if chicks in bikinis will be provided, that moves you to the top of the list in my book. We haven't had one in a while and I need to install new brake pads and deglaze my rotors before my next trackday. So I guess now is as good time as any to bring it up. Arson would be able to provide more details.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH DAY!?!???!?! CHICKS IN BIKINIS>!?!??!?!

LETS DOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

I need to do my brakes too!

I will post up with some more info in a few!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Ah ok. No worries then. Maybe I'll just do it.
Can't be THAAAT hard.
07-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Where do I sign up! Jk.... But really, Brokr I've got rearsets that I've been wanting to see if they will work on my bike. So I would be down to wrench, as long as we have a shady spot or garage to do it in!

I've done just about everything to a car but not much to bikes, I'm sure between the two of us, some YouTube videos, and a couple beers we could figure it out!

There's a thread on these "seal saver" things on 600rr.net that I believe you can pick up from cycle gear, I'll try and find it... They are not a permanent fix but it will get you rolling till you have time to do the seals (possibly.) From what I've read they are just kind of like a business card that slides up in there to remove any debris from the sealing area.

Like I said, they may help stop the leak for a bit (so it stops getting all over your rotors!) But I'm sure doing your seals wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'm available all weekend and always looking for an excuse to talk bikes, so hit me up if you wanna wrench!

-Jared

Not everybody DOESN'T do those things either!
07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Here's a link to that thread.. It's called Seal Mate.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t...little+bit

Like I said, definitely a temporary fix.. But for $5 why not!? It may get you riding if your having to wait for parts to do the seals..

Not everybody DOESN'T do those things either!
07-20-2013, 02:34 PM
35mm film will do this also
07-20-2013, 03:44 PM
I have a seal cleaning tool if you want to use it let me know
07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
I leave the fork seals for the pros. I've seen it done and it ain't easy. Special tools. It's going to cost me 500 bucks to do the Goldwing. On that, i'd rather pay.

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
07-21-2013, 04:37 AM
I helped a friend who was a mechanic, do several fork seals on different bikes. Unless you really know what your doing or have a good manual, like Falcon said "leave it to the Pros" . One thing I would suggest is if you are doing them yourself....buy an extra seal in case you fuck one up.....nothing like having to wait on a new seal and your bike down for a bit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious