Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
How often do you lube?
01-31-2015, 02:24 PM
How often do you lube?
Does anyone on here lube their clutch cables on a regular basis, and if so, how often is it supposed to be done? I've never done it in the 28 years I've been riding motorcycles, but since they make a specific tool for it, I'm thinking it should be something I should possibly add to my routine maintenance schedule for my bikes. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2015, 02:30 PM
RE: How often do you lube?
I don't do it regularly... probably every couple years. I usually do it in conjunction with an adjustment. It wouldn't hurt to do it as routine maintenance, though.
01-31-2015, 03:31 PM
I remember I got 36000 miles out of my first chain.Been doing the same process ever since..

I lubed it after every ride in rain, and cleaned it heavily every 3000-5000 miles.

I also would look at it once a week and if it looked dry, I would spray a little on.

During washing and cleanings I would inspect chain and look for any kinks, if so, i would lube and work the kink. But usually by that time its time for a new chain as kinks will start to happen more regularly.

Repeat.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
01-31-2015, 06:40 PM
No lube go in dry.

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
01-31-2015, 07:46 PM
According to my handy dandy Yamaha FZ-07 owners manual, clutch/throttle cables every 6,000 miles.

I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar.
01-31-2015, 07:52 PM
I clutch lube two to three times a day depending on what I can find on the internet... Sex13

But as for a clutch cable, nah... They're like $30 for a brand new one, or you can get a refurbished one for like $14. And they last forever. Didn't start having problems with mine until like 50,000 miles, and since I commute every day on the streets that's a lot of abuse.

As far as chains go, I used to lube and maintain them every 500 miles. But they would still go out every 10,000 miles or so. Didn't matter if they were $40 chains or $140 chains. So I started not giving a crap and treating them like shit. Turns out chains have Stockholm Syndrome, and the worse you treat them the more they love you....

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
01-31-2015, 08:15 PM
(01-31-2015 07:52 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I clutch lube two to three times a day depending on what I can find on the internet... Sex13

But as for a clutch cable, nah... They're like $30 for a brand new one, or you can get a refurbished one for like $14. And they last forever. Didn't start having problems with mine until like 50,000 miles, and since I commute every day on the streets that's a lot of abuse.

As far as chains go, I used to lube and maintain them every 500 miles. But they would still go out every 10,000 miles or so. Didn't matter if they were $40 chains or $140 chains. So I started not giving a crap and treating them like shit. Turns out chains have Stockholm Syndrome, and the worse you treat them the more they love you....

Probably why your clutch cable broke in Utah. hahaha.

I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar.
01-31-2015, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 08:35 PM by R3K.)
(01-31-2015 06:40 PM)tomy Wrote:  No lube go in dry.

That's some Clint Eastwood shit right there!

(01-31-2015 07:46 PM)Dougk35 Wrote:  According to my handy dandy Yamaha FZ-07 owners manual, clutch/throttle cables every 6,000 miles.

Thanks Doug. Guess I should check my handy dandy Suzuki manual too.

(01-31-2015 07:52 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I clutch lube two to three times a day depending on what I can find on the internet... Sex13

That's a lot of lubing of your non bike parts!

Now that I think about it, I don't clean or lube my chains all that regular either and I've never had a problem with them. It's kinda strange because I'm fanatical about changing my bike fluids, but I rarely even think about lubing the clutch cable or chain. I'm getting better though. I've cleaned and lubed my chain twice in the past year!!!!

Thanks for the input fellas!!!!
01-31-2015, 08:35 PM
just realized that shit said clutch cable.. lol thought it was chain..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
01-31-2015, 09:22 PM
(01-31-2015 08:15 PM)Dougk35 Wrote:  

Probably why your clutch cable broke in Utah. hahaha.

Yes... my philosophy does have its draw backs. But I've since learned and have a spare clutch cable in my garage now, just in case.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious