Gentlemen,

I'm thinking of flushing out my coolant and putting in this Engine Ice
Product.

Does it make that big of a difference?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: Engine Ice
It does help. And its easy to use. Buy two of the pre made mixes, fill up and go!!

however, if you ever plan on going to the track, you might need to swap that coolant out..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-18-2013, 02:19 PM
For longevity, nothing beats your regular ol' 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. I hear engine ice does work however, it doesn't have the rust inhibitors that your regular coolant has. Some race tracks require the system to be filled with either Engine Ice or Water with Water Wetter. I myself run distilled water and water wetter because I have been doing mostly track days. I have noticed that my temps run about the same as with coolant however, when my fan comes on, the temp drops a lot faster than the coolant mixture did. Coolant does not dissipate heat as well as engine ice or water wetter does. It's entirely up to you. I think Arson is running Engine Ice in his bike. He would be a good source.

What oil did you end up using?

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
I use water wetter... its more a pain to do, but worth it I think in the long run..

I though engine ice had glycol or whatever in it? I thought water wetter was the only track allowed coolant besides water?

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
(07-18-2013 02:19 PM)JetMech Wrote:  For longevity, nothing beats your regular ol' 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. I hear engine ice does work however, it doesn't have the rust inhibitors that your regular coolant has. Some race tracks require the system to be filled with either Engine Ice or Water with Water Wetter. I myself run distilled water and water wetter because I have been doing mostly track days. I have noticed that my temps run about the same as with coolant however, when my fan comes on, the temp drops a lot faster than the coolant mixture did. Coolant does not dissipate heat as well as engine ice or water wetter does. It's entirely up to you. I think Arson is running Engine Ice in his bike. He would be a good source.

I ended up with Rotella T6. Not sure if I notice any major difference in shifting.
K&N oil filter

Guess my next question is what's the easiest way to drain out coolant. I think I'll YouTube that one....

What do you recommend for tire pressure? I was told 36 front 42 rear.
Thoughts?
07-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I run engine ice in my Magna and it made an immediate difference of about 15-20 degrees op temps (the magna runs hot) and it cools down WAY quicker than regular coolant once the fan kicks on as JetMech said.

I also cleaned the hell out of the cooling system on my magna though (its 30 years old and 60K+ miles) and im certain no one ever maintained the cooling system.

Your mileage may vary. I will be switching to engine ice in my RC once i get a chance to.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-18-2013, 02:35 PM
(07-18-2013 02:28 PM)LVBrokr Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 02:19 PM)JetMech Wrote:  For longevity, nothing beats your regular ol' 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. I hear engine ice does work however, it doesn't have the rust inhibitors that your regular coolant has. Some race tracks require the system to be filled with either Engine Ice or Water with Water Wetter. I myself run distilled water and water wetter because I have been doing mostly track days. I have noticed that my temps run about the same as with coolant however, when my fan comes on, the temp drops a lot faster than the coolant mixture did. Coolant does not dissipate heat as well as engine ice or water wetter does. It's entirely up to you. I think Arson is running Engine Ice in his bike. He would be a good source.

I ended up with Rotella T6. Not sure if I notice any major difference in shifting.
K&N oil filter

Guess my next question is what's the easiest way to drain out coolant. I think I'll YouTube that one....

What do you recommend for tire pressure? I was told 36 front 42 rear.
Thoughts?

36/42 seems high for a sport bike... I run mine at 32 across the board and never had a handling or traction issue (except in the wet but my tires are done for so i chalk that up to that).

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

07-18-2013, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2013 02:43 PM by ars0n.)
Lol he was talking bout your coolant not your oil! hehe..

I would def youtube your bike and how to drain coolant. Its pretty standard and relatively easy most bikes!

As far as pressures go, this is much like an OIL question.. Lots of people have preferences. And once you become honed on your bike, you will know what pressures work for you and what dont..most people stick with manufac settings or the settings given from the tire company.

I never ever go over 36 on either front or rear tire on the streets. And I never go under 31. It depends on weather, street quality, rain, etc.

My pressures on my Q2's can range from 31-34 Cold temps (cold temps = when the bike has not been riden all day, meaning the tires havent had a chance to warm up) You should always check your tire pressures "cold".

Tires are one of the most important pieces of your bike and you dont want to start changing pressures on them if you dont know what you are doing. But, You always want to keep them in the specs for the make of the tire to get a feel for how they work/respond. Once the tires are broken in, I like to customize them to whatever pressures they feel best at. This can change all the time due to weather, road conditions, etc..

07-18-2013, 02:39 PM
for draining coolant, there is usually a drain cock or drain bolt under or VERY close to the water pump. usually the lowest spot in the system. Sometimes to fully flush it out you will need to pull things like t-stats and often times, depending on the engine, there may be one or more drain bolts at the bottom of the cylinder jugs/water jackets.

do yourself a HUGE favor and search for a FSM (factory service manual) and that will tell you all you need to know.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

07-18-2013, 02:44 PM
If you look hard enough online, I am sure you can find a PDF service manual! =]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious