Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Do you use your rear brakes?
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Do you use your rear brakes?
I was recently over at another unnamed forum (because I closed the box and don't feel like reopening it) and they were discussing when to replace the brakes. The poster said the mechanic suggested new rear brakes. An assembly of posts after that all indicated the same general theme...who uses rear brakes?

"A bigger question is, why are you using so much rear brake?. I have never needed to replace rear pads or brake shoes on any of my bikes. "

Me personally....I hit the rear brake everytime my brakes are touched. I have also been through a few sets of brake pads for the rear...I find it troubling that people consider rear brakes useless and unnecessary.

"My friend never uses the rear brakes because his engine brakes hard enough"

What's your thoughts? Am I an anomaly? (I know I'm not because ERC trains rear brake use.)
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
RE: Do you use your rear brakes?
Yes. Its another tool to use at different times, and for different reasons.

I use it mainly to feather-brake in mid turn, when I don't need to trail brake/tighten my turn, but need to slow a little.
I also use it for slow breaking to a stop.

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
It depends on your ride. If you only ever take the bike out when you're riding sport up at Red Rock or the lake, or track, then you should probably use next to none. For me I'm a commuter every single day. It's my only transport. So when I'm slugging back and forth to UNLV and need to come to a stop light, of course I'm going to use my rear brake. Just don't rely on it so much that when an emergency occurs your reaction is to stomp on it.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
07-22-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 02:15 PM by VEGASRIDER.)
Just remember, maximum braking is accomplished by applying both brakes. Even though your front brakes account for most of your stopping power, taking advantage of the small percentage of what the rear brakes will do can be the difference of hitting something or not.

But if you never use the rear brakes, most likely when you need to stop your motorcycle in the shortest distance you safely can, you will most likely forget to apply your rear brakes.
07-22-2012, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 03:15 PM by JetMech.)
Now that I think of it, I hardly ever use it except on the track and when making a slow tight parking lot turn.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I use my front and rear all the time but I only use just my rear at slow speeds or to scrub off a lil speed at red rock / track

No man is more free than the one that doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him
07-23-2012, 05:45 AM
I use my front and rear brakes all the time. When I was practicing my brakes, I realized how much better my bike stopped when using both brakes.

Though something to consider, I was told that around 75% of the braking is done with the front, and the rest is done with the rear brakes. However, with newer sport bikes, the ratio is more like 90% front and 10% rear.

03 Ninja 250
07-23-2012, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 09:39 AM by ars0n.)
It all depends on the situation...

In racing, some racers use it, some don't... if you look at some moto gp pics you can see the racers braking so hard before a turn that their rear tire comes up off the ground... what good is your rear brake then right?

But there are other uses for it.. when in traffic... feathering it to slow your self to release stress on your hands during stop and go traffic..

Using it for trail braking ( while/during turning ) this should only be done by the skilled and practiced regularly.. there are a lot of good read-ups on this and if you have not heard of it.. google it.

It decreasing braking distance by producing two different forces/surfaces that are slowing..helping you stop quicker.. its basic science really... =P...

Everyday you should be incorporating your rear brake into your braking. Not only does it decrease your braking distance.. but also practicing it will keep you more in control of the REAR of the bike in case of slides, (accidental) wheelies and emergency braking.. not every time will you brake so hard that the rear of the bike will come off the ground. So, by always using your rear you can decrease braking distance and also keeping control of the rear is always a plus.

This also brings up the argument that the rear brake is dangerous and can cause you to slide out more, and low side, or high side, blah blah blah....

Everything on a motorcycle can make you crash, not including the outside world variables.. The important thing is that its there for a reason, practice if you haven't and use it when needed.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Rear brake on the street, why not? Save my front pads for the track. Rear brake on the track? Skip ahead to the 7min mark and this explains why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWyrZhArYI
07-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I usually only use my rear when I have to do emergency stops (usually in stop-and-go traffic on 215 headed to Red Rock). I also frequently lock up the rear and end up fishtailing a bit before I stop. I guess the good news is that I'm used to it, so I don't freak out.

'06 GSX-R 600

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious