Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
repair question
04-08-2015, 07:18 PM
repair question
how hard is it to do a transmission seal on a 96 bandit? havent found much on the subject
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 05:03 AM
RE: repair question
which seal specifically are we talking about? the oil seal on the sprocket shaft or the shifter shaft?

neither are hard for the most part. both involve simply removing the sprocket or shifter assemby, respectively, and any retaining devices (some have a metal clip or cap, some are pressure fit) and using a quality pick, pulling the old seal out, cleaning up the shaft and sliding the new seal in.

usually a 20-30 minute job on most bikes.

IIRC on the bandit, there is no retaining device on either so its pretty easy.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
04-09-2015, 08:02 PM
im honestly not sure about which seal... i just had someone look at it and they said its that seal. all i can say is it leaks once the bike is warmed and has moved
04-10-2015, 05:40 AM
(04-09-2015 08:02 PM)SST91 Wrote:  im honestly not sure about which seal... i just had someone look at it and they said its that seal. all i can say is it leaks once the bike is warmed and has moved

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Su...parts.html

likely item #31. Looks like you do have a retainer on there.

you can get down there and take a look and see where the leak is coming from. If it is in fact that seal, the procedure would be easy if you have the tools. Remove the bolt and washer on the end of the output shaft. This allows you to remove the nut holding the sprocket. with a buddy, leave the bike in neutral and have someone hold the rear brake, then you can spin the nut off. DO NOT rely on the transmission to hold the sprocket. Use the brake with the chain.

once thats off the sprocket just slides off, then you remove the 10mm bolt holding the retainer on and the seal will likely be a relatively loose fit. Just gently pry it out with a pick or very small flat head screw driver using caution not to mar or scratch anything metal.

Then clean, inspect and install new seal in reverse order.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

04-10-2015, 09:32 AM
(04-10-2015 05:40 AM)That Guy Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:02 PM)SST91 Wrote:  im honestly not sure about which seal... i just had someone look at it and they said its that seal. all i can say is it leaks once the bike is warmed and has moved

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Su...parts.html

likely item #31. Looks like you do have a retainer on there.

you can get down there and take a look and see where the leak is coming from. If it is in fact that seal, the procedure would be easy if you have the tools. Remove the bolt and washer on the end of the output shaft. This allows you to remove the nut holding the sprocket. with a buddy, leave the bike in neutral and have someone hold the rear brake, then you can spin the nut off. DO NOT rely on the transmission to hold the sprocket. Use the brake with the chain.

once thats off the sprocket just slides off, then you remove the 10mm bolt holding the retainer on and the seal will likely be a relatively loose fit. Just gently pry it out with a pick or very small flat head screw driver using caution not to mar or scratch anything metal.

Then clean, inspect and install new seal in reverse order.

- Justin

This guy. Makes it seem as easy as buttering toast.

[Image: 9d765f67-981a-472a-ac7e-cd56d5c63b90_zps...1369163536]
04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
once again the great tech saves me a headache again. Thanks a bunch Big Grin
04-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Just remember. He takes lots of forms of payments. First borns, first harvest, 6 pack of beer, souls. etc.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
04-10-2015, 03:56 PM
(04-10-2015 03:47 PM)ars0n Wrote:  Just remember. He takes lots of forms of payments. First borns, first harvest, 6 pack of beer, souls. etc.

Jager, Red Bull and Souls are my preferred forms of currency.

I don't know why people say that gingers dont have souls? I have tons of them - I steal them all the time.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

04-10-2015, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 04:01 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
also, make sure to lube the seal lips with some fresh clean oil. You don't want to slide it in without lube now do ya?

seriously tho, lube it up. and make sure everything is nice and clean and contaminant free so you don't cause premature wear or failure on the seal due to F.O.D.

EDIT: also, seems obvious but have to mention it, when you put the seal in, IT WILL GO IN EITHER WAY, however the only correct way to put it in is so the numbers (seal size information imprinted on the seal) face OUTWARD. If you put it in backwards it will just dump oil out in short order.

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
ah got it. i was thinking that it might be the same as a front engine seal... i will remember to do lube it... its time to change the oil anyways and i gotta teach myself how to do minor stuff with a carb motor(only ever ridden fuel injected)

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious