Rate Thread
08-16-2013, 10:04 AM
odometers
I've been getting into this buying and selling of bikes but I have a concern and wanted your inputs..

I know the old speedometer/odometer cable was easy to pull out and it would stop the miles.

But can that be done if the odometer is electric?

I dont want to be taken for an abused bike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
RE: odometers
Yes this can happen, but i believe much like car vins, you can do research on a bike vin. Per insurance records normally the bikes mileage has to be reported.. know anyone with a carfax account?

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know who's got a car fax account but I'd get one if it would resolve this.
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 10:59 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
if the bike is 10 years old or older, the odo is of no consequence.

Now, many modern bikes, not sure exactly which ones, will NOT run with the gauges unplugged. I know this to be true of several hondas anyway. Also, on many electronic gauges, the miles are stored on the ECU, not on the gauges so you cant mess with them.

some do store on the gauges tho so you will just have to take your chances and make good decisions. One thing I have learned from buying and selling vehicles is that if you get that gut feeling that something is off, it probably is. Do your homework though and that can help with that feeling. At first it is easy to get spooked but over time you will come to learn what is and isnt right or passable.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 01:01 PM by ars0n.)
My 05 runs with no dash =] and also miles are stored on dash not ecu on GSXR's

so if its a gsxr, double check the numbers hehe!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
08-16-2013, 03:37 PM
(08-16-2013 01:01 PM)ars0n Wrote:  My 05 runs with no dash =] and also miles are stored on dash not ecu on GSXR's

so if its a gsxr, double check the numbers hehe!

good to know. I know that the CBR F4i DOES NOT run without the dash plugged in. not sure about the F4. trying to remember what else doesnt. I know some yamihas dont but I cant remember which ones.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
08-16-2013, 08:37 PM
How do I check the #s?

Btw I sold the Busa I bought and now have an 06 GSXR600.
Soon to be for sale.
08-17-2013, 08:13 AM
(08-16-2013 08:37 PM)LVBrokr Wrote:  How do I check the #s?

Btw I sold the Busa I bought and now have an 06 GSXR600.
Soon to be for sale.

M3llo is looking for bike. Shoot him a PM. I believe he's looking 600

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious