Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
fender kit and sliders
12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
fender kit and sliders
What would be my vest choice for frame sliders under 100 and fender eliminator kit with the plate mount and how much would someone here charge me for labor. Thx for help. And its a 2012 zx6r.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
RE: fender kit and sliders
Talk to "That Guy"..

He's our go to guy.. I'll message him your question..
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 07:31 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
If your talking sub $100 frame sliders, your going to get differing opinions, but in my professional experience, you are often better off without than going cheap. I can tell you in EVERY SINGLE CASE I have personally seen or fixed, more than a dozen bikes, that have gone down and had inexpensive frame sliders, more damage was caused by the slider breaking off than was saved. A few people here can attest to that. Cheaper sliders (the round "peg" type sliders) have a tendency to break off or bend the bolts, causing them to destroy the fairing by breaking them up badly. These are mostly with minor crashes too. There are some other sliders that have a large, flatter, tapered profile that work great tho. I can't remeber the brand off hand, but they aren't cheap. Tapper, help me out here, you had em on your ninja. Considering all that, if you still want them, vortex is about as cheap as I would go, at about $140 for a set, but have seen them sheer off as well. Install if they are no-cut would be $40 and if I have to cut or drill fairings, $65 as there is quite a bit of work involved to do those properly.

For the undertail, those I have learned are about 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Some are better than others and price does not always dictate quality. Best bet is to ask around on the owner forums for the ninja and see what others have used. Install for an undertail, $30 if no wiring is involved, $50 if I have to wire up an aftermarket tail light with it. You usually have to cut your stock underseat tray to install them so consider that as there is no turning back at that point.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
12-02-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 10:55 PM by Tat2dAces.)
I have a 2012 zx6r as well. got my fender elimination kit from Amazon was only like $25 and easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052GK...UTF8&psc=1

I installed this as well. Great alternative to get rid of rear turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1HK...UTF8&psc=1
12-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Those were Puig Pro Frame Sliders on the Kawasaki Ninja 1K that I had on there.
12-03-2013, 01:52 AM
(12-02-2013 10:48 PM)Tat2dAces Wrote:  I have a 2012 zx6r as well. got my fender elimination kit from Amazon was only like $25 and easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052GK...UTF8&psc=1

I installed this as well. Great alternative to get rid of rear turn signals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1HK...UTF8&psc=1

Thx for those links ill check it out I like how it looks and the price.
12-03-2013, 04:29 AM
You shouldn't be required to do any cutting to rear cowl at all. You potentially will need to do some cable cuts and rewires, but it's super easy general rewires.

In regards to fender eliminators you have literally hundreds of options. You can hit up cycle gear and pickup a bracket and aftermarket signals. You'll need to do some wiring work, but it's all easy stuff.

I installed a targa FE on my ninja, and it was straight forward that used my stock tail lights so I saved some money there. There are other kits that feature smaller or larger tails, even standard or LED as well.

http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/catego...ators.html

I also like the Competition Werkes kit:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/compe...-2009-2012

And the Yoshi kits are always high quality, and this kit has larger tails as well:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshi...zx6r-09-13

I second the recommendation for ThatGuy. He can get all of this worked out for you no problem. That said, if you're super budget conscious I can offer a hand installing. By that mean I'l make you do all the work, but make sure you're doing it right.
12-03-2013, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 07:43 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
I stand corrected. It appears that on your bike, there is no need to cut. The tail is already pretty tidy. I was going based off a complete undertail kit like many bikes use similar to this:
[Image: 44_sub_1-undertails-honda-2000-07-rc51.jpg].
Those usually require cutting of the stock underseat tray.

Looks like you might be just unbolting the fender itself from the under tail and purring a smaller lic. plate bracket on. That's easy to do.

Like jimi said, you may need some rewiring for the blinkers, but for a simple unit like Tat2d linked, basic hand tools should get you by. $10 or a few Red Bulls would convince me to install that for ya. Make sure if you have to relocate blinkers that you pick up the blinkers before hand. Figure out what you want and the style and they are easy to do.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

12-03-2013, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 07:44 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
BTW, these are the frame sliders I mentioned that Tapper had:
[Image: Puig_Pro_Frame_sliders_Kawasaki_ER-6N_09..._1_600.jpg]

These hold up very well in crashes.

These are the frame sliders to avoid:
[Image: pr5865_1_07zxr6fsl1.jpg]
They have a tendency to break off and have a similar effect to crashing onto a large rock or curb... Ask Matt (The Doctor) how well they work - and his were VERY heavy duty with a relatively light weight bike coming down on them.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

12-08-2013, 06:46 PM
(12-03-2013 07:40 AM)That Guy Wrote:  These are the frame sliders to avoid:
[Image: pr5865_1_07zxr6fsl1.jpg]
They have a tendency to break off and have a similar effect to crashing onto a large rock or curb... Ask Matt (The Doctor) how well they work - and his were VERY heavy duty with a relatively light weight bike coming down on them.

- Justin

I second that. These sliders sucks ass.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious