Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
chain question
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 07:45 PM by dirty650rat.)
chain question
Sorry if this is a dumb question...but I'm in need of a new chain and i was wondering what the differences are between the different ones? I seen d.i.d., ek, rk ?????? What's the differences between them? Also im trying to maintain my chain and sprockets as good as i can by cleaning them and lubing them as good and as often as i can, but for some reason im wearing through my sprockets prety fast.... i have maybe 1800 miles on this vortex sprocket and this mofo is missing teeth like a crackheaded bum!!! I was thinking about some afam ones or some supersprox ones??? Is the way I'm riding knocking teeth off faster or is that just how vortex sprockets are???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
RE: chain question
(07-30-2012 07:40 PM)dirty650rat Wrote:  Sorry if this is a dumb question...but I'm in need of a new chain and i was wondering what the differences are between the different ones? I seen d.i.d., ek, rk ?????? What's the differences between them? Also im trying to maintain my chain and sprockets as good as i can by cleaning them and lubing them as good and as often as i can, but for some reason im wearing through my sprockets prety fast.... i have maybe 1800 miles on this vortex sprocket and this mofo is missing teeth like a crackheaded bum!!! I was thinking about some afam ones or some supersprox ones??? Is the way I'm riding knocking teeth off faster or is that just how vortex sprockets are???

All those are pretty good chains. The main difference is the tensile strength, and the type of o-rings (x-rings are supposed to be marginally better than o-rings). And also color/finish.

Obviously, there are size differences.
Stick to the size that the bike came with.
The weight difference from going to a smaller size chain is only worth it if you are trying to shave off milliseconds at the track.

The stronger the chain (tensile strength), the more resistant it will be to getting kinks and stretching.

I prefer DID chains.

You can lube the chain every 500 miles, and clean+lube every 1000.
Unless they get extra dirty.
When you lube the chain, wipe off the excess. Excess lube does not lube more, but instead serves as a sticky surface for dust/dirt to stick to, which then can rub on the o-rings and wear them out prematurely, and seep inside and wear out the chain links.

As for the sprockets...Aluminum sprockets are not going to be as strong as steel/stock ones.

Are you missing teeth from the front sprockets ?
If so, stick to stock, or make sure they are quality steel sprockets.

If you are missing teeth from the rear...perhaps your chain got so bad that the stretched links put more force in fewer teeth braking some off.
If the chain is in good shape, the force of the chain is equally distributed between all the teeth in contact with the rollers. But if there are some stretched sections on the chain, then some teeth will get most of the force on them...possibly braking them off.

Another possibility is a chain that is too tight.

Check your sprockets too...if they are worn or missing teeth, they too can cause additional uneven wear on the chain and make it worse.

Make sure your chain doesn't have kinks, make sure it is not too tight (or too loose), keep it clean.
And stick to steel teeth sprockets.
I have both Vortex and Supersprox.
Supersporx are nice and durable, with less weight than all-steel.

Vortex is ok too, but I only use that one at the track.

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM
RE: chain question
Thanks man!!! Great explanation. Its clearer now. Ima just grab a new set of sprockets and a new chain... it was the same chain from when i got the bike so it was prolly bad and busting all the teeth off..lol. . Ima see if supersprox got a 525 ...i seen some good deals on kits online.. hopefully i can chill with you guys at a track day sooner than later

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious