Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Who is the guy that paints bikes?
11-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Who is the guy that paints bikes?
I remember there used to be a guy here that painted bikes... is he still here?

I need my streetglide parts sprayed with a single-stage paint (hot rod flatz) and dont feel like doing it myself. Need someone experienced in spraying a single-stage flat, because you can really screw it up if you try to spray like like base coat/clear coat.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: Who is the guy that paints bikes?
Justin day on facebook, there was stntdrv dave who used to paint back on 702 sportbikes.. not sure of anyone that has a sprayer on this site anymo...

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
11-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I can paint and Im actually planning on shooting a ninja 500 in a few weeks with hot rodz flatz. Single stage isnt hard to spray at all. That being said, I have never shot the Flatz stuff personally so mine will be a learning experience, but have shot plenty of single stage.

Justin Day did his old bike with HRF. Hit him up.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
The problem is that you cannot color sand or buff it, so you better have the prep work done right and what you get out of the spray gun, is what you're stuck with.

I did a VTX1300 in hod rod flatz black a few years. As a matter of fact, I still have a lot of that paint left over... wonder it it's still good?

[Image: black1.jpg]

[Image: black2.jpg]

[Image: black3.jpg]

Wonder how much I need to do a streetglide... inner & out fairing, switch panel, front fender, rear fender, 2 sidecovers, tank, 2 hard saddlebags.

Maybe we can work a deal... want some older hot rod flatz black to test with? Is your spraying area heated? Mine isnt heated very well.
11-21-2013, 08:53 PM
well the finish is 100% in the prep work. Fortunately, single stage is a bit forgiving and flat paint is even moreso. I have shot single stage black with flattening agent mixed in... It was PPG's cheap Onmi branded stuff but shot really well actually.

My spray area is my garage but A LOT of work goes into making sure its dust free and well ventilated with a positive pressure down-draft-ish system. Works well enough for single stage. Kind of a pain to setup and tear down.

I don't like color sanding and avoid it whenever possible so I tend to be anal about laying down dust free color. Clear can be cut - hell even gloss SS can be cut, but mattes can not obviously.

Likely the paint is no good by now. Obviously pot life is usually a day or two at most. I have seen some up to a week if blended. Unblended, maybe 6 months to a year if you don't turn it or mix it up.

For something like what your talking about, I would think 1.5 sprayable quarts would do the trick. I can shoot full sport bikes with 1 quart and have plenty left over.

Gonna have to pass on the job though. Sadly I had to leave my 60 gal compressor in Colorado and all I have to work with it a little 10 gallon unit that is fine for little stuff and my own personal work with my detail gun, but I wouldnt have enough confidence in it to shoot for someone else and a bigger job would be working the compressor non-stop. I have proper guns, oil and moisture filters and gear otherwise. Temperature is not so much a concern to me as humidity is. In fact, I prefer to shoot in the 65-70 degree range. Any warmer and the paint can lay with orange peel. Cooler slows the cure down and allows the paint to flow out a little bit if using a medium or slow reducer and hardener.

I would be interested in messing around with your left overs however, if they are salvageable. I could certainly assist you on the job if you needed to but I haven't slung any paint in 3 or 4 years so that is also why I wouldn't want to take the job on. Have to get back up to speed again.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
11-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Ok I sent Justin Day a friend request.