Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Time change vs. Mileage
03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Time change vs. Mileage
So its no secret that I dont get to rise my bike as much recently. That being said and seeing some other threads got me thinking (i know, im too old to start new habits). I have 5 years on my stock chain and sprockets but only 3700 miles. Should I change as a precaution? I change the oil once a year which equates to about 800 on the oil before I change it. The bike has always been garaged and chain always properly lubed.

Then this brings me to a few other bits on my bike. Like air filter, fork oil, and valve adjustments, brake pads. They all have 5 years but only 3700 miles like I mentioned earlier. Any thoughts on info should change these out, get valves adjusted? The bike still runs like a champ on trackdays and brakes just as good as when it was new. I do bleed my brakes before and after every track day. Any suggestions?

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013, 12:49 AM
RE: Time change vs. Mileage
Just my personal thoughts. Brake fluid, synthetic oil, coolant etc are all chemical compounds. And life all chemical compounds they can go bad over time. But as far as mechanical parts (chain, valves, air filters), I don't see any reason to be concerned. Las Vegas is a very dry climate, so incidences of rust, especially when your bike is garaged like it is, should be low. And aside from oxidation I don't know any other time driven mechanisms that would alter the performance of said mechanical parts. I wouldn't bother replacing everything. But I would make sure to keep an eye on it. Also. Ride more. Haha.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
03-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Oil is about the only thing I'd bother with.
All the others you mentioned...no need unless they are damaged.

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
03-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I agree with everyone else. With the few miles you typically put on the bike, I wouldn't bother changing stuff out until it begins to fail. You're doing good with the brake fluid because moisture can build up in it over time (regardless of how much, or how little, you ride the bike) eventually causing the brakes to not work as well. I'd also keep a periodic eye on the air filter because of how dusty it is out here. Even though it's garage kept, after 5 years, it could be a litle clogged (surprisingly they don't get REALLY clogged up unless you're actually riding in the dirt) so I'd check it at least once a year when you do your oil change. And also keep an eye on your tires as they can begin to dry rot with age. Look for cracks in the water sipes, or around the side wall. Other than that, hard parts don't have to be replaced on a time table if they're not being used.
03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Cool. Thanks guys. I changed out my tires last year. I got rid of the factory BT-014 and got some Q2's. My stock tires were hard as a rock. I do need a new battery. My 5 year old stocker finally won't take a charge.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
03-11-2013, 04:56 AM
(03-10-2013 12:49 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Just my personal thoughts. Brake fluid, synthetic oil, coolant etc are all chemical compounds. And life all chemical compounds they can go bad over time. But as far as mechanical parts (chain, valves, air filters), I don't see any reason to be concerned. Las Vegas is a very dry climate, so incidences of rust, especially when your bike is garaged like it is, should be low. And aside from oxidation I don't know any other time driven mechanisms that would alter the performance of said mechanical parts. I wouldn't bother replacing everything. But I would make sure to keep an eye on it. Also. Ride more. Haha.

WOW, matt has the capacity to learn about mechanical stuff??? Im so proud!

and like everyone else said, dont mess with the rest of it. The chain may dry up a bit but as long as its still moving freely and the links arent binding up you should be fine there. Just keep it lubed. Oh, and yes, tires checking for rot is a good idea also.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious