Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Smoke machine for emissions system
07-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Smoke machine for emissions system
Just like the title says. I need to get my truck smogged and I have an evap leak. It's not the gas cap and I just replaced the pump and solenoid on my canister but its still popping up. Any one know someone at a dodge stealership?

Oh it's an 04 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2013, 05:03 AM
RE: Smoke machine for emissions system
Make sure you DO NOT go to Chapman!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Have you completed a full drive cycle with the truck after swapping parts? Emissions stuff takes about 100+ miles of varied driving conditions to fully clear an active code. Start by pulling your battery to reset the actives, then the light should be off, if the problem still exists, the light wil return. If not, the light will stay off but the code will stay stored until the required drive cycles are complete.

Even if the light is off, and the code is still stored you will fail smog. The code has to fully clear.

Pm me or give me a shout if you need help running a drive cycle. 720-281-3738.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-25-2013, 06:27 AM
It's a pain in the ass to do by its free diag. Better than giving your money to a stealership if ya don't have to.

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

07-25-2013, 09:14 AM
I have done the dodge drive cycle multiple times after clearing. I replaced the parts back in January. So safe to say after repeated attempts to clear, the fault still exists. I think I may just have to give in and take it to the stealership.

07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
oh ok.. just the way it sounded... "I just replaced" i just wanted to make sure. The dealer will have the equip to find whatever leak. I used to have an older one smoker that was a hand-me-down from my brother (ASE / Dodge certified mechanic) that came in this big plastic kit box but I figured I would NEVER need and got rid of it years ago. Go Figure.

I do have a valve spring compressor tool though.... that I have never used and no idea how I ended up with it.... ya know, just in case you ever need to take out some valve retainers. LOL.

- justin

- Ken "No Neck"

07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
(07-25-2013 11:16 AM)That Guy Wrote:  oh ok.. just the way it sounded... "I just replaced" i just wanted to make sure. The dealer will have the equip to find whatever leak. I used to have an older one smoker that was a hand-me-down from my brother (ASE / Dodge certified mechanic) that came in this big plastic kit box but I figured I would NEVER need and got rid of it years ago. Go Figure.

I do have a valve spring compressor tool though.... that I have never used and no idea how I ended up with it.... ya know, just in case you ever need to take out some valve retainers. LOL.

- justin

When I go to upgrade my cam, I will give you a call. I would have to upgrade to dual spring. But the cam is very low on my priority list. Like #68 low.

07-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Hopefully it's not too late and my reply gets to you before you go to the dealer my name is Adam I'm an ASE certified technician for Ted Wiens Firestone tire on the corner of Fort Apache and Flamingo I also have a smog license so if you need help getting your truck to pass smog either stop by or give me a call at the shop 435-1515 We do charge for diagnostics but I'm sure we can save you money compared to going to the dealer.
07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
(07-26-2013 06:45 PM)Sbklove Wrote:  Hopefully it's not too late and my reply gets to you before you go to the dealer my name is Adam I'm an ASE certified technician for Ted Wiens Firestone tire on the corner of Fort Apache and Flamingo I also have a smog license so if you need help getting your truck to pass smog either stop by or give me a call at the shop 435-1515 We do charge for diagnostics but I'm sure we can save you money compared to going to the dealer.

Not too late at all. I will give you a call tomorrow to see what's up. Thanks a bunch.

07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
(07-26-2013 06:45 PM)Sbklove Wrote:  Hopefully it's not too late and my reply gets to you before you go to the dealer my name is Adam I'm an ASE certified technician for Ted Wiens Firestone tire on the corner of Fort Apache and Flamingo I also have a smog license so if you need help getting your truck to pass smog either stop by or give me a call at the shop 435-1515 We do charge for diagnostics but I'm sure we can save you money compared to going to the dealer.

Sorry bud that I didn't call. Things got hectic on Saturday. Any how. So here's wa ha happened:

Disconnected the battery. Turned key to "on" for 30 seconds. Waited another 30 seconds then reconnected battery. Completed 1 Dodge OBDII drive cycle. Drove to smog station and passed with one monitor not ready which is allowable.

I still know I have an evap leak and I still need to get it fixed because I think it is the source of my excessive fuel consumption. Mainly because anytime I park my truck I get a strong fuel smell near from under my truck. So I'm good for another year but now I don't have to rush to get it done.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious