Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Scorpions. How to get rid of them?
07-27-2013, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 01:15 PM by JetMech.)
Scorpions. How to get rid of them?
So I finally saw my first scorpion in Las Vegas. Took me 8 years. Anyway, it's was in my back yard. Good and dead. So my question is, should I be concerned that there are more roaming my yard? I have a regular pest guy that comes monthly. Any more on top of that I can do to prevent them?

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
RE: Scorpions. How to get rid of them?
I know peeps that get a black light and search the area of their homes. There are a lot more out there, you just cant seem them. They help with spiders, roaches... I let them be... personally..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
not much you can do to prevent them unfortunately. You can get a black light and go hunting in your back. Under a black light, they "glow" a greenish color so smash everything you see that is "glowing". You may discover more scorpions than you wanted to though. Kind of an "ignorance is bliss" sort of a situation. Unfortunately, scorpions only eat once a week or so, and they don't clean themselves like regular bugs, so it's the luck of the draw if they ingest any poison that your bug guy could put out. An honest bug guy will tell you that it's a waste of money to have him put something down for scorpions, but if that cost is already part of your monthly payment anyway, then go for

I've also heard that we get a lot of them up here from palm trees that come from Mexico. They live in the bulb that the trees roots are in, and once planted, they crawl out and make their way wherever. If you haven't had any new palm trees planted recently, then given the fact that you've just now seen your first one after 8 years (assuming you've been in the same house all that time), I wouldn't worry too much about them being all over your yard/property. I was in my last house for 12 years and only saw 2 (one was kinda big and scared the FUCK out of me!) and didn't see the first one until we'd been there about 9 years. took another 3 years when I found the other one but it was dead. Both were in the garage so we never had any get into the house.
07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Looks like this one was dead before I got to it. At least I know what my pest guy is spraying works. My concern is for the kiddos. How bad is one of their stings?

07-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I would compare it to a bee sting x5 ...maybe a lil more painful....

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-27-2013, 01:08 PM
We only have one possibly "lethal" scorpion here, the Bark Scorpion.

They are definitely more painful than a bee sting as Arson said, but generally pretty harmless other than that. The danger is in the elderly and young children (<5 yrs) as with any toxin, the less body weight the more dangerous.

So basically, if YOU get stung you should be alright and SHOULD be able to tell if the sting needs medical attention (excessive swelling, redness, sweating etc...) But if one of the kiddos get stung you MIGHT want to consider a trip to the ER....

There are actually very few scorpions (in the world) that are considered deadly. Their deadly image definitely came from Hollywood, as most will just have a painful sting with little to no side effects.

So if anything, I would be more concerned with the black widow that's definitely somewhere on your property.. They're everywhere down here! Thankfully they like to stay hidden in dark cool places that we don't usually like getting into, crawl spaces etc...

Hope this helps!

Not everybody DOESN'T do those things either!
07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Good to know guys. I appreciate the info. My pest control guy came and said its a desert Harry scorpion. Very rare and the are only found in wide open deserts. Says it probably arrived via all the wind we have been having. Last time he saw one was 5 years ago. So they sprayed the shit out of my back yard.

R3K, I have been in this house now for 4 1/2 years. When I first arrived in LAS, I had so many people tell me to look out for scorpions. So I have always had this stigma about scorpions so that's why I kind of freaked out when I say this one. Better to nip it in the butt right away than wait. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and they like to play in the grass and dirt so that's why I posted this. Kids come first. Thanks again for the info. If any one wants a souvenir, this bad boy is about 4 inches long if anyone wants to come pick it up.

07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Deep fry em and cover with chocolate yum!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
07-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Capture and enslave them, put on fights and bet with your friends. Very affordable and enjoyable entertainment...

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure that it is worth watching
07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
(07-27-2013 08:07 PM)CBRrated Wrote:  Capture and enslave them, put on fights and bet with your friends. Very affordable and enjoyable entertainment...

This! Lol add ants and spiders too!

Not everybody DOESN'T do those things either!

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious