Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Sales tax on used bikes in NV?
08-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Sales tax on used bikes in NV?
I just moved here a few months ago and not familiar with the sales tax laws on private purchases for bikes.

Are they exempt from sales tax like cars?

How about if you but one from a private seller in CA and bring it to NV to title it?

A
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
RE: Sales tax on used bikes in NV?
the charge by kelly blue book

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Not sure if Tomy fully read what you asked lol...

In NV there is no sales tax on private party sales period.

As for the next part. I may not be entirely correct but how I understand it is if you re-titled it in CA you would be subject to Sales Tax (assuming CA charges on private party, as broke as they are wouldn't doubt it) but since you are titling in NV you would be exempt. I know plenty of people that have purchased out of state private party and have not paid sales tax.
08-26-2013, 04:04 PM
you dont pay sales tax per se, but the fees associated with registration are based of the vehicle value, which is what tomy was saying I think. The title fee is the same on all vehicles ($28 or something like that) its just the registration fees that are based off the value. Again, its not actually a "Tax".

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
08-26-2013, 09:08 PM
(08-26-2013 04:04 PM)That Guy Wrote:  you dont pay sales tax per se, but the fees associated with registration are based of the vehicle value, which is what tomy was saying I think. The title fee is the same on all vehicles ($28 or something like that) its just the registration fees that are based off the value. Again, its not actually a "Tax".

- Justin

+1

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
08-27-2013, 07:50 AM
That was a misconception as well. They don't charge fees based on the value it sold for. It's based off the ORIGINAL MSRP with % off per year based on the age of the vehicle. California from what I remember when living there actually does charge the registration based on the price YOU paid for it.
08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
(08-27-2013 07:50 AM)LVNeptune Wrote:  That was a misconception as well. They don't charge fees based on the value it sold for. It's based off the ORIGINAL MSRP with % off per year based on the age of the vehicle. California from what I remember when living there actually does charge the registration based on the price YOU paid for it.

Actually, I bought my truck, used from a dealer here in NV. When I got it registered, the msrp listed was what I actually paid, and not original MSRP. Weird.

09-04-2013, 07:46 PM
^ what do you mean msrp listed? The stated value as in what was on the invoice was used? If so that's a NEW change. They always went by the MSRP that was on the title.
09-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Lets clarify. Under the MSRP on my title it showed 18k. Not the original factory MSRP of 37k.

09-05-2013, 04:34 AM
(08-27-2013 07:50 AM)LVNeptune Wrote:  That was a misconception as well. They don't charge fees based on the value it sold for. It's based off the ORIGINAL MSRP with % off per year based on the age of the vehicle. California from what I remember when living there actually does charge the registration based on the price YOU paid for it.

no misconception... never said value was what you paid for it. Value is what the DMV determines it is worth. Im not sure how they determine this because out of the many vehicles I have registered here so far, NONE of the values I was charged on were anywhere near original MSRP or NADA/KBB values liberally or conservatively.

most states USED to be based off what was paid but then so many people started buying cars for $1 (according to the Bill of Sale) and then many of the states had to establish a minimum of X amount and now are moving over to the vehicle value system.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious