Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Room-mates? Deposits and such?
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
RE: Room-mates? Deposits and such?
Yeah since you took your name off the lease, you will not get the deposit back.

Just be strait with your bro, if he respects your friendship he will do the right thing.

Good luck mang!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2013, 06:54 AM
If this dude is as solid as you say, and your friendship is as strong as you think it is, then just talk to him, I'll bet you'll be releived by his answer, especially if you've given him a ton of notice of your plans to move out. Hopefully he started saving up some cash as soon as you told him your plans to move, but giving you your half of the deposit may not have even occurred to him at that time.

You could offer options that will help him out like offering to wait for your share of the deposit for when he gets a new roomie (who should also have to pay their half of the deposit as someone else suggested), or offer him some sort of payment plan to ease the burden on him ($100 per month?) until it's paid off. As a last resort, I'd talk to him about the option of having it noted that the deposit refund check NOT be electronically deposited into either of your accounts, and that it be written in both of you guys' name so that both of you have to be present at the bank to cash it. Otherwise, you might just be out your $600. Since you know you can be really blunt and come off wrong, just choose your words wisely and you'll be fine, but if he knows you as well as you say, then he should also know you're not trying to be a dick.
05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I guess its safe to say he's not on this forum? Someone made a good point, if he gets another roommate, you should be entitled to getting it back.

Maybe there might be an agreement in the middle, $300 now and the balance when the lease is terminated and you get your deposit back if there is no other additional roommate.
05-30-2013, 07:26 PM
everything is good. He ended getting a new place and we will be waiting on our deposits back =]

Thank you for the advice gang! I really appreciate it!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
(05-10-2013 09:14 PM)That Guy Wrote:  ...Now it wouldnt be unreasonable to assume that he may wait until he is out to ensure that they dont withhold anything. the other thing you could do is ask the management company to issue the deposit check in BOTH names and that way he cant *legally* cash or deposit it without your signature/authorization. sadly there is little to no verification on that at the banks.

This.

If your roommate gives you the $600, fine. But I'd venture that would be a stretch for him financially since he's paying additional $$$ now that you left. Also, since you're technically still on the lease, I'd make sure that the place is in tip-top condition once he decides to leave.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious