Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Motor Install
03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
RE: Motor Install
(03-06-2013 11:00 PM)got2go Wrote:  Hmm, interesting.
Ive never heard of issues like these on these engines (as in, common issue with them). And I'd like to think I've ben pretty active in owner forums and such.

My 07 zx-6r has about 45k miles.
Motor is all original, no work done on it. And I by-no-means baby that sucker. I have hit the rev limiter on almost every ride I take it on, just for good measure. And it's seen quite a bit of track day abuse too.

Valves have never been adjusted (last time I checked them they were within spec, a handful of k-miles ago)

Want to trade Tongue5?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 11:13 PM
(03-06-2013 11:09 PM)evilFive Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 11:00 PM)got2go Wrote:  Hmm, interesting.
Ive never heard of issues like these on these engines (as in, common issue with them). And I'd like to think I've ben pretty active in owner forums and such.

My 07 zx-6r has about 45k miles.
Motor is all original, no work done on it. And I by-no-means baby that sucker. I have hit the rev limiter on almost every ride I take it on, just for good measure. And it's seen quite a bit of track day abuse too.

Valves have never been adjusted (last time I checked them they were within spec, a handful of k-miles ago)

Want to trade Tongue5?

Haha, no thanks!
Mine runs like the Kraken is after it...

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
(03-05-2013 12:24 PM)evilFive Wrote:  Justin, I'm really at your mercy so whatever works best for you let me know and I'll make it happen. I have a two car garage that I can have cleared out but I don't have too many tools available. I'm ordering the spark plugs, oil, filter, coolant now so I would expect them to be here by this weekend as well. I'm optimistic that this motor is in good shape and low miles based on the conversation I had with the seller but I'm also well aware how anything used can have hidden gremlins. The motor is coming only with the stator and alternator, the seller says he has done a valve inspection when he performed the valve gasket replacement. The ebay listing for the motor can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330848461468?orig_cvip=true for reference.

Your place would be best... keeps me from having to spend a day sorting out the black hole that is my garage.

Austin (M3llO) is also a qualified mechanic and could do it. Its really not that tough though.

Either way, Im heading out in an hour and half for 4 days then any time after that, weekday evenings or weekends is fine.

I can bring tools, stands, jacks, ect. so thats no issue.

I know you are optimistic about the motor but still worth while to open up at least the valve cover and check things out. It has a rubber gasket so should be no problems reusing so long as care is taken in doing so as to not damage the gasket or get any crud in the engine.

Also, from the pics you linked, some show the intakes, some dont. do you know if it has the injectors and TBs? or is it just a long block (engine with starter and stator, water pump, ect.)

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Long Block, PM sent.
03-09-2013, 02:08 PM
got2go, I found an interesting thread that had some information. Maybe when the old motor comes out we can see what really happened to mine.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-for...ilure.html
03-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Looks like the weather agrees that this is perfect timing.

[Image: IMG-20130309-00222_zpsc1efe1d2.jpg]
03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
(03-09-2013 02:17 PM)evilFive Wrote:  Looks like the weather agrees that this is perfect timing.

[Image: IMG-20130309-00222_zpsc1efe1d2.jpg]

don't see any beer.

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
03-09-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 06:17 PM by got2go.)
(03-09-2013 02:08 PM)evilFive Wrote:  got2go, I found an interesting thread that had some information. Maybe when the old motor comes out we can see what really happened to mine.

I don't see much in there to indicate there's a true issue with the motor.
And , that bike is an 09 or later.
Different than the 07-08.

That goat story is pretty funny though...

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
thats not enough engine ice...

Saturday morning it is though. Who else is coming? I could use the extra muscle and a few extra pairs of eyes are always good.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

03-13-2013, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 07:45 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
(03-09-2013 02:08 PM)evilFive Wrote:  got2go, I found an interesting thread that had some information. Maybe when the old motor comes out we can see what really happened to mine.

I would be happy to do some CSI for you after its replaced.

I read that other post and having had 2 different motors drop valves, both of mine were rather dramatic and one of them (a 95 CBR600) sent me through a ditch and barbed wire fence and about 60 feet into a feild at about 70mph and snapped a con rod, bent 2 others and put a fist sized hole in the block.

The other just had aloud pop and bang and then the motor was frozen. what made this dramatic was that my wife was riding it (modified quad with streetbike engine) in the dunes in colorado, at night. I was on my dirtbike and she couldnt ride a bike in the sand so I had to leaver her there to go get the truck. I still havent heard the end of this one.

this is the reason I tell you to CHECK OUT THE TOP END before install. The second motor was a salvaged motor that i purchased and installed in a quad and was the one I referenced that had parts missing and changed that I didn't check.

Also, again, make sure you have the fairings off the bike and if you want to drain the coolant and oil that would be helpful before we start. Only need to pull the lowers and maybe the upper. dont worry about the tail. Gas tank too, although if you want to wait on that one, thats fine.

If you do drain the coolant, make sure you drain the radiator, pull the drain at the water pump and also there should be one (not sure without looking at the FSM) somewhere under the exhaust headers for the cylinders to get the last of the coolant out of the water jackets.

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious