Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Motor Install
03-05-2013, 12:22 AM
RE: Motor Install
(03-04-2013 11:01 PM)That Guy Wrote:  Oh yeah, I control the music too. LOL.

Oh hell. I'm out then! Rofl2 He listens to songs about guys riding bicycles with no hands. It would be better just to pay the thousands of dollars Rofl2

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the offer! I'm in Southern Highlands with limited tools but the garage has power. I could transport the bike anywhere needed and could surely supply beer and pizza in addition to the latex gloves Confused. I also have the PDF of the service manual if needed. The tracking info shows that the motor will be delivered to my buddy's auto shop on Friday.

"Quick" how I got here is:

Bike is a 2007 ZX-6R that I bought used with almost 20,000 miles on the odometer. The bike has a -1/+2 with no speedo healer so the miles are a bit inflated. I had the bike serviced by Mike and Keith at High Velocity Motorsports. The bike had low compression on #2 and #3, loose valves on #1, #3, #4 but #2 was in spec. They adjusted the valves and water injected the motor after which the compression was at mid 190's across the board. Mike rode the bike a few days and said it was good to go. Less than a tank of a gas later on my way home from work I heard a strange ticking sound and by the time I had time to pull over the motor had seized. The bike was inspected and it was determined the rod bearing on #2 had failed allowing the piston to slam into the valve, etc.
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
(03-05-2013 09:27 AM)evilFive Wrote:  Thanks for the offer! I'm in Southern Highlands with limited tools but the garage has power. I could transport the bike anywhere needed and could surely supply beer and pizza in addition to the latex gloves Confused. I also have the PDF of the service manual if needed. The tracking info shows that the motor will be delivered to my buddy's auto shop on Friday.

"Quick" how I got here is:

Bike is a 2007 ZX-6R that I bought used with almost 20,000 miles on the odometer. The bike has a -1/+2 with no speedo healer so the miles are a bit inflated. I had the bike serviced by Mike and Keith at High Velocity Motorsports. The bike had low compression on #2 and #3, loose valves on #1, #3, #4 but #2 was in spec. They adjusted the valves and water injected the motor after which the compression was at mid 190's across the board. Mike rode the bike a few days and said it was good to go. Less than a tank of a gas later on my way home from work I heard a strange ticking sound and by the time I had time to pull over the motor had seized. The bike was inspected and it was determined the rod bearing on #2 had failed allowing the piston to slam into the valve, etc.

That's seems a little premature to have a bearing go so soon. Granted the gearing was increased. With that gearing combo, assuming it's been -1/+2 since stock, that's an increase of 12% on the mileage. That given, assuming an additional 12% on 20k is about 22,400. Thats pretty early to be having a bearing failure. Have you check the kawi forums to see if there was a service bulletin issued? Or if it's an inherent problem? Just food for thought.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
(03-05-2013 09:38 AM)JetMech Wrote:  That's seems a little premature to have a bearing go so soon. Granted the gearing was increased. With that gearing combo, assuming it's been -1/+2 since stock, that's an increase of 12% on the mileage. That given, assuming an additional 12% on 20k is about 22,400. Thats pretty early to be having a bearing failure. Have you check the kawi forums to see if there was a service bulletin issued? Or if it's an inherent problem? Just food for thought.

Every shop that I spoke to when I was looking for a new motor basically said "not another one", but I can't find any real talk about it on the forums.
03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Might not be a bad idea to check the conrod bolts and torque and bearing conditions.

Again, all minor preventative maintence before install.

Might be able to do it at my place but I am in the northern part of summerlin and would have to clean out my garage before hand.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Justin, I'm really at your mercy so whatever works best for you let me know and I'll make it happen. I have a two car garage that I can have cleared out but I don't have too many tools available. I'm ordering the spark plugs, oil, filter, coolant now so I would expect them to be here by this weekend as well. I'm optimistic that this motor is in good shape and low miles based on the conversation I had with the seller but I'm also well aware how anything used can have hidden gremlins. The motor is coming only with the stator and alternator, the seller says he has done a valve inspection when he performed the valve gasket replacement. The ebay listing for the motor can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330848461468?orig_cvip=true for reference.
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I got the tools and the know how. Let me know what u need n u got it.. I'm a diesel mechanic. I have stands as well. Best way to get ahold of me is 702 782 5774. Hit me up if u need anything

Still tryen to find the end of that long white line!
Ride to the max jus don't fuck up Wink
03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
(03-05-2013 07:56 PM)M3ll0 Wrote:  I got the tools and the know how. Let me know what u need n u got it.. I'm a diesel mechanic. I have stands as well. Best way to get ahold of me is 702 782 5774. Hit me up if u need anything

Hey welcome back mang!

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I really appreciate all of the offers for assistance. I'm going to buy the Coolant, Plugs, Oil and Filter tomorrow and have a new chain/sprockets in the mail as well. I'll buy the pizza and beer for whoever wants to "assist", you're all more then welcome at my place. I'm excited to get this paperweight rolling again.
03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
(03-05-2013 09:41 AM)evilFive Wrote:  Every shop that I spoke to when I was looking for a new motor basically said "not another one", but I can't find any real talk about it on the forums.

Hmm, interesting.
Ive never heard of issues like these on these engines (as in, common issue with them). And I'd like to think I've ben pretty active in owner forums and such.

My 07 zx-6r has about 45k miles.
Motor is all original, no work done on it. And I by-no-means baby that sucker. I have hit the rev limiter on almost every ride I take it on, just for good measure. And it's seen quite a bit of track day abuse too.

Valves have never been adjusted (last time I checked them they were within spec, a handful of k-miles ago)

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]

[-]