Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Long Trip/Commuter backpacks
04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Long Trip/Commuter backpacks
Hey All,

I'm in the market for a new riding backpack. I would use it mostly for riding back and forth to work, carrying lunch, light jacket/gym clothes, etc. Possibly a long haul trip to Phoenix too. - I know A-stars and Ogio make some popular backpacks. Do any of you have favorites or brands/models I should avoid?

Thanks!
-Kes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 10:14 AM by ars0n.)
RE: Long Trip/Commuter backpacks
I recently bought an ogio and it is quite comfy but not much room for big items.. very compartmentalized..

Might I suggest one thing, if its for longer rides, I suggest saddle bags. Joe rocket makes some for sport bikes and work perfect. After a long ride your back legs and arms are the first to go and when you have something heavy on your back it makes the ride much more strenuous.

For quick things like the gym, groceries etc, try on whatever fits most comfy and roll with it.. a lot of backpacks are made differently and styling everyone has diff tastes, padding preferences, if you want to try on a selection of RIDING specific backpacks, cycle gear and ride now on boulder hwy have had a few in there selection to try on..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
04-03-2013, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 11:10 AM by chaos_reigns_01.)
i bought a teknic one that is awesome. it is a little larger than the standard backpack, and can expand to hold your helmet as well as other random crap. it was a little expensive, but most decent backpacks are. its the same as this one...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/teknic-s...k-backpack

Since going to your church makes you a Christian, does going to your garage make you a car?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 03:28 PM by The Doctor.)
(04-03-2013 11:10 AM)chaos_reigns_01 Wrote:  i bought a teknic one that is awesome. it is a little larger than the standard backpack, and can expand to hold your helmet as well as other random crap. it was a little expensive, but most decent backpacks are. its the same as this one...

Hmmm... Next time you come up, would you be able to bring said backpack, just so I can check it out? That's a large amount of cash for me to lay down on something I haven't actually seen. But I am interested in that model...

As for me, I use a Swiss Gear computer backpack, just a normal regular backpack. It works great and was only like $30-40 bucks. So for someone who is a student and a 365 day commuter it works out great. All of the motorcycle specific backpacks I've looked at were 1) uber expensive and b) really small. And definitely not something I would want to put my laptop into.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
(04-03-2013 12:27 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 11:10 AM)chaos_reigns_01 Wrote:  i bought a teknic one that is awesome. it is a little larger than the standard backpack, and can expand to hold your helmet as well as other random crap. it was a little expensive, but most decent backpacks are. its the same as this one...

Hmmm... Next time you come up, would you be able to bring said backpack, just so I can check it out? That's a large amount of cash for me to lay down on something I haven't actually seen. But I am interested in that model...

As for me, I use a Swiss Army computer backpack, just a normal regular backpack. It works great and was only like $30-40 bucks. So for someone who is a student and a 365 day commuter it works out great. All of the motorcycle specific backpacks I've looked at were 1) uber expensive and b) really small. And definitely not something I would want to put my laptop into.

I use a Swiss Gear. Probably same brand as Matt's. The one I use has a laptop compartment and has plenty of room for other things as well.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I hate backpacks, I prefer tail bags and depending on which kind you get, it can hold just as much or even more.

If you're riding to PHX, I would carry a camelback instead of a backpack so that you can stay hydrated while you ride.
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
(04-03-2013 08:02 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  I hate backpacks, I prefer tail bags and depending on which kind you get, it can hold just as much or even more.

If you're riding to PHX, I would carry a camelback instead of a backpack so that you can stay hydrated while you ride.

+1 on the SwissGear back pack, that is what I use on my commute everyday.
Pretty light and can store a ton of stuff. Also pretty tough with heavy duty zippers and tons of compartments. Got mine at Target
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
(04-03-2013 08:02 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  I hate backpacks, I prefer tail bags and depending on which kind you get, it can hold just as much or even more.

Don't listen to this guy. His screen-name is a lie!

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/We...uct-detail

Here's what I use. It has padded straps and also a clip to keep the straps together after you put it on. I'm sure this will inspire Matt to post some sort of strap on joke. So fire away.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
04-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Hands down the best pack available is from kriega... The are expensive but worth every penny!

http://www.kriega.us/

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious