Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
I'll be back!
09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
RE: I'll be back!
BMW it is. Try to find a used one. Keep your ears to the street !

"The Journey Is The Destination!”

Some do drugs others pop bottles we solve our problems with wide open throttles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Late... but another vote for the Beemer. I actually like the idea of the electronics (TC, ABS, etc...) and it has a shitload of power. If I was in the market for a literbike, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
there's a guy I met 2 weeks ago up at the lookout on a sunday mid morning. He's selling his BMW.. I think he said it was a '12. Its all black.. don't know the price but if you're interested, I think he sits up there hoping to find a buyer..

white guy with a pretty expensive Arai I believe.... GL...
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
(09-02-2014 06:13 PM)vizzR1 Wrote:  Case settled. Woo hoo! Now time to buy new bike!!!

Nice! Congratulations!

BMW.

And a dirtbike!

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
09-02-2014, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 09:36 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
(09-02-2014 07:19 PM)vizzR1 Wrote:  You have to take the aprillias and decatis to specific mechanics.

STAY AWAY FROM ITALIAN!!!!! I REPEAT, STAY AWAY!!!!!

They are amazing bikes for sure but are a major pain in the ass all the time.

The problem with them is this - and it applies to Ducati, MV, Aprilia - no one really know how long these things will last. 2 kinds of people generally buy them: People with more money than brains that buy them, beat the hell out of them and generally end up wrapping them around a light pole or planting them firmly in a ditch or race them until they blow up or fall apart,

OR People with more money than brains (this would have been me in 2009 BTW) that buy them, then basically let them sit in the garage (or living room) and NEVER ride them, either because they are collectors, are afraid of them breaking (me), or that they will be expensive when they break and cant afford to fix them (also me) or that dont ride them so they never hit that next, very expensive, service interval (also me again).

Either way, they never accumulate many miles usually.

They are needy bitches that will not hesitate to try and kill you when you do something wrong. They are race bred motorcycles and not very good or practical on the street (although between the lot, the DUC is probably the best for street). I have known enough people the the Aprilias to stay away from them as well but no personal exp. Talk to Justin Day about his.

I have owned both Ducs and the MV. Neither are worth it to me.

On to the BMW. EXCELLENT machines without a doubt. A pleasure to ride and they make you look like you know that you are doing (even when you dont). That being said, this is because of all the fancy electronics in the bike. Mind you, those are also VERY expensive, fancy electronic and they do break. I also owned 2 BMWs (R1200RT and R1200GS, both 2008). Sadly the tank like motors and chassis that BMW is known for is not what is in the S1000RR. it is like any other jap bike out there in its construction and function. This means it is not built to hold up to the abuses of street riding without constant regular maintenance, much like any other big 4 engine.
Also, while it would make a great track bike, I found the ergos to be very uncomfortable for myself being 6'4". Felt cramped, and also a VERY aggressive riding stance. YMMV

The Yamaha is an excellent choice, however, as I understand it, the current R1 is the heaviest and lowest powered of the big 4 litre bikes. That does not negate the fact that it a very well built and very thought out design. Shes a big girl but she carries herself nicely with relatively light handling. A few minor suspension tweaks and she will fall into the corners with little drama. I also love the 1/4 turn d-ring fasteners on the bike for all the body work. makes maintenance a snap! The styling is also my favorite of the group but that is my personal opinion on that.

Just my thoughts.

Lastly, I have personally seen you lift the front wheel a few times. That is fine and all, but basically all V configured engines tend to suffer from oil starvation on the front cyl/bank in a wheelie, this includes twins and V4s so thats something to think about.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
09-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks justin! Freddy!

I loved the R1, now with TC I really considered getting the same bike. And I may still, but after all the research I have done, that bmw is just another level above. I need to see how it feels first because ergos are important to me. 6'2 220, can't ride a Honda. Lol.

"The Journey Is The Destination!”

Some do drugs others pop bottles we solve our problems with wide open throttles
09-03-2014, 12:44 PM
If you can hold off until the redesign of the R1 for 2015 i would wait to see what they do. It might give you the reliability and stability of the Yamaha name but power closer to the BMW.
09-03-2014, 01:00 PM
(09-02-2014 11:39 PM)vizzR1 Wrote:  Thanks justin! Freddy!

I loved the R1, now with TC I really considered getting the same bike. And I may still, but after all the research I have done, that bmw is just another level above. I need to see how it feels first because ergos are important to me. 6'2 220, can't ride a Honda. Lol.

go to BMW and they will let you demo one.

and the Honda fits me better... at least my RC anyway, cant really speak to the CBRs and newer stuff.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM
...dirt bike...

---
Charlie don't surf!