Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Fork Seals
07-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Fork Seals
Anyone wanna help me do my fork seals Big Grin

i got the seals but i dont have the fork fluid yet Tongue

"How do you ride with fear? You just ride, because there is no other way. Eyes up, Lean in and Accelerate."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 08:22 PM
RE: Fork Seals
It's not hard. You just have to download a shop manual for your bike. Then find the section about the front end, specifically the forks. Then take it over to That Guy and let him do everything for you. Then order pizza while he works and then TADA! All better.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
07-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Try cleaning them first...most cases are just dirt in the seal causing a leak...

I just googled this really quick...

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
07-03-2014, 08:35 AM
try the cleaning of the seals first, see if that does it for you, but generally, in my own personal experience anyway, cleaning them is often just a band aid solution. Debris can get in there and cause them to leak, however if it has been leaking for any significant amount of time, chances are that whatever debris is in there has or could likely damage the seals. That and your fork oil level would have lowered depending on how much has leaked out. You don't want uneven oil levels as that can have very negative effects on handling, braking and safety.

Also, if it is leaking a lot, you may want to consider changing front brake pads if the oil had leaked onto them. Some friction materials can absorb the oil and you will loose braking power from that which may or may not return over time.

If you choose to replace, I can tell you that inverted fork seal replacement is not for the faint of heart. it is fairly complex and can be extremely dangerous if done incorrectly as you are dealing with A LOT of force from the fork springs once you compress them and if they let go, can cause some serious injury. You will need to buy or make a spring compressor tool. I made mine but have a lot of experience in making special tools. You can get commercially available tools for anywhere from $30-200 depending on which style you go with.

You will also need access to an FSM to get the correct oil levels and cap height lock nut measurements.

If you want to bring em to me, i'll do them for $55 labor and you provide parts and oil (I have had great success with All Balls brand seals and wipers available online for about $20-25 and Maxima fork oil available at Cycle Gear or any major MC parts retailer).

Let me know.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
(07-03-2014 08:35 AM)That Guy Wrote:  try the cleaning of the seals first, see if that does it for you, but generally, in my own personal experience anyway, cleaning them is often just a band aid solution. Debris can get in there and cause them to leak, however if it has been leaking for any significant amount of time, chances are that whatever debris is in there has or could likely damage the seals. That and your fork oil level would have lowered depending on how much has leaked out. You don't want uneven oil levels as that can have very negative effects on handling, braking and safety.

Also, if it is leaking a lot, you may want to consider changing front brake pads if the oil had leaked onto them. Some friction materials can absorb the oil and you will loose braking power from that which may or may not return over time.

If you choose to replace, I can tell you that inverted fork seal replacement is not for the faint of heart. it is fairly complex and can be extremely dangerous if done incorrectly as you are dealing with A LOT of force from the fork springs once you compress them and if they let go, can cause some serious injury. You will need to buy or make a spring compressor tool. I made mine but have a lot of experience in making special tools. You can get commercially available tools for anywhere from $30-200 depethis?g on which style you go with.

You will also need access to an FSM to get the correct oil levels and cap height lock nut measurements.

If you want to bring em to me, i'll do them for $55 labor and you provide parts and oil (I have had great success with All Balls brand seals and wipers available online for about $20-25 and Maxima fork oil available at Cycle Gear or any major MC parts retailer).

Let me know.

- J

I'm trying to get them replaced all together I have the for seals. I'll be able to pick up the oil. When are you available to do this?

"How do you ride with fear? You just ride, because there is no other way. Eyes up, Lean in and Accelerate."
07-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Next Monday would work or Tuesday. That would be the soonest.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Got fork seals and brakes done thanks to That Guy Big Grin..

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious