Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Biker Down
07-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Biker Down
19 year old with no license. Fatal wreck at Decatur and Spring Mt. Be safe out there people! R.I.P. Rider.

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2014, 05:59 PM
RE: Biker Down
this is exactly why i didnt get anything bigger than a 600 as my first bike and not learn how to ride properly
07-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Has nothing to do with the size of the bike. Anyone of us can be killed. I'm not saying the rider was at-fault or not at-fault but having a 600cc or less bike does not make a damn bit of difference when someone pulls out in front of you without looking.
07-29-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 08:01 PM by ars0n.)
rest in peace rider =(

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-29-2014, 08:25 PM
RIP Rider!

That said, everyone has responsibility for your own actions. Yeah someone may have pulled out in front of him, or yeah, someone may have run that light... while in the eyes of the law, that is not the riders fault, there are things that each one of us can do to keep this shit from happening. NEVER assume that you are safe. NEVER assume that everyone can see you or that everyone is going to follow the laws of the road to the T.

It it ultimately YOUR responsibility to make sure you make it home safe and means proactively assessing multiple possible scenarios to any given situation. Just because the light is green, that DOES NOT mean you are safe and dont need to think about an exit strategy, or slow down for the intersection, look for traffic that may or may not be stopping, figure out what you need to do if they dont stop, ect.

This is a sad situation for sure, and yes it would have been a difficult one to avoid for many reasons, but also it could have been at the same time. Without knowing what fully happened, I can only speculate, but things that could have been done are slowing down, realizing you were being blocked by a bus, planning for someone pulling out in front of you, moving over to the left side of the lane to give as much room as possible.

I could keep on going but I dont think i need to. My point is that I have been riding for 16 years with only ever ONCE hitting the ground due to a completely UNFORESEEABLE mechanical failure. Have I almost been hit by cars? Countless time, yes. But I am still here today thanks to the mindset I mention here. Ive never been in a multi-vehicle wreck on a bike for this very reason.

Sorry, not trying to preach or make an example of this tragic situation, but it is as good a time as any to remember that YOU and only YOU are in control of your own fate.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-29-2014, 10:33 PM
I saw a wrecked bike loaded on a tow truck on W. Cheyanne by the police station around 6:45p.m. today. There were some cops and a car. Didn't see the rider. Anyone know anything about it?

Think for yourself, question authority.
07-30-2014, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 04:50 PM by VEGASRIDER.)
(07-29-2014 05:45 PM)the falcon Wrote:  19 year old with no license. Fatal wreck at Decatur and Spring Mt. Be safe out there people! R.I.P. Rider.

Besides what Justin posted about the ultimate responsibility and control comes down to the rider, regardless who's at fault. It's our responsibility to help and educate new riders by informing them to take a motorcycle safety class and earning an endorsement with a sucessfful completion before they start hitting the street. This is why the motorcycle should remain parked until then. Remember, one of the areas the class focuses on is showing you How, Where and What to look for. Not saying that it wouldn't have happened, but there is the correct way and the wrong way to do things. Another way is to join SCS and get some good advice.

Las Vegas is one of the most challenging cities to ride in my opinion.
07-30-2014, 06:14 PM
(07-30-2014 04:47 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 05:45 PM)the falcon Wrote:  19 year old with no license. Fatal wreck at Decatur and Spring Mt. Be safe out there people! R.I.P. Rider.

Besides what Justin posted about the ultimate responsibility and control comes down to the rider, regardless who's at fault. It's our responsibility to help and educate new riders by informing them to take a motorcycle safety class and earning an endorsement with a sucessfful completion before they start hitting the street. This is why the motorcycle should remain parked until then. Remember, one of the areas the class focuses on is showing you How, Where and What to look for. Not saying that it wouldn't have happened, but there is the correct way and the wrong way to do things. Another way is to join SCS and get some good advice.

Completely agree with your statement. My son is 13 (almost 14). Hes been riding on my bike with me off and on since he was 5. Hes been riding quads since he was 7. He will ride just like I knew when I was 12 that I was going to ride. I plan on making him take the MSF (something that I still have not done, and plan on doing with him) and he will be required to ride with me for 2 years. Its pretty much inevitable that he will ride so I can either help him along and assist him or ban him from bikes and when he is old enough, he will get on one himself and possibly do something stupid.

Sucks that the rider that died did not have someone helping him along the way. I am just glad that I was not in the news as I started off the same. No license, no riding ability, no one to help.
07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
(07-30-2014 06:14 PM)doz Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 04:47 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  

Completely agree with your statement. My son is 13 (almost 14). Hes been riding on my bike with me off and on since he was 5. Hes been riding quads since he was 7. He will ride just like I knew when I was 12 that I was going to ride. I plan on making him take the MSF (something that I still have not done, and plan on doing with him) and he will be required to ride with me for 2 years. Its pretty much inevitable that he will ride so I can either help him along and assist him or ban him from bikes and when he is old enough, he will get on one himself and possibly do something stupid.

Sucks that the rider that died did not have someone helping him along the way. I am just glad that I was not in the news as I started off the same. No license, no riding ability, no one to help.

Only a little over a year until he is eligible taking the class. Minimum age is like 15. The way I would go about it, get his driving permit. Take the MSF through CSN, and when he goes to get his driver's license, he can get his M endorsement placed onto his drivers license at the same time by simply by showing his completion card to the DMV. You can kill two birds with one stone.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious