Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Beginning rider help.
11-04-2015, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 02:39 PM by ftl900.)
RE: Beginning rider help.
(11-04-2015 12:26 PM)ftl900 Wrote:  One of the things Justin is suggesting (but didn't exactly say) is buying your bike outright, cash. Then you'll only need liability insurance.

(11-04-2015 01:22 PM)doz Wrote:  I dont think Justin is suggesting that..... I dont think anyone should suggest liability only for a new rider, especially an 18 year old...

I kind of mis-spoke on that one. What I meant to say was that I believe Justin was suggesting the OP buying a used bike for his first bike, as opposed to financing something new. Get something used and inexpensive, and you can probably get your money back out of it 6 months or a year later.

The liability insurance idea was my afterthought, not something I was trying to attribute to him. I just kind of ran it all together so I can see how it appeared that way.

FJR1300, ZRX1100
[Image: Amry_patches-sm.png][Image: visited_states.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
The first thought that went through my mind the first time I crashed was "Thank goodness I didn't buy that brand new R6."

Get an old cheapy. It won't hurt as much when you drop it. Just don't buy from the stealership. Unless you're Doug who has old people money just laying around.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
11-05-2015, 02:36 PM
All good points of things I've been looking up, you guys have managed to provide what my hours of research in around five minutes of reading ! Thanks !
11-05-2015, 05:27 PM
(11-05-2015 12:18 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  The first thought that went through my mind the first time I crashed was "Thank goodness I didn't buy that brand new R6."

Get an old cheapy. It won't hurt as much when you drop it. Just don't buy from the stealership. Unless you're Doug who has old people money just laying around.

Jealousy does not become you Matt. Remember; jealousy is the outward manifestation of insecurity.Wink

I might be to old to cut the mustard, but I can still lick the jar.
11-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Would anybody know where to find a suzuki ts250 thats for sale? And somewhere that might have one in two months? I want a general Price.
11-07-2015, 06:03 PM
You must have really liked their TU250 at CSN? It's a great bike to learn on. Using your motorcycle as your primary, or in my case, my only mode of transportation can be economical, but you also have to weigh in the cost of owning great gear. If you ride a lot, you can't skimp on gear, in my opinion, you need to own quality gear that will last, from head to toe.

In my opinion, riding in Las Vegas is one of the more challenging cities to ride. Taking the MSF Course was your first step, joining this forum was a great idea. Lot's of great advice and help on here. Keep an open mind on the selection of bikes, there are a lot of great selection of used ones out there that will fit your needs. Make sure you bring someone along who know a bit about bikes if you are buying a used bike, especially from a private seller. You need to know what to look for when buying used. Like some have said, a Ninja 300 can get up to 60-70mpg. Insurance should be fairly cheap with State Farm since they go by the size of the engine, and not the class of bike, despite you're only 18.

Good luck.
11-09-2015, 02:55 AM
I actually haven't taken the course yet but I've heard from people that have taken the test on one really like it. I'm learning the gears on a 1974 xs650 which is a fairly similar style and I like the position of the bike. I'm not set on the Tu but I don't think any other beginning standard would fit my wants out of a bike. My biggest concern is that they might be under powered, any thoughts on that?
11-11-2015, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 09:41 PM by VEGASRIDER.)
(11-09-2015 02:55 AM)brenndenmf Wrote:  I actually haven't taken the course yet but I've heard from people that have taken the test on one really like it. I'm learning the gears on a 1974 xs650 which is a fairly similar style and I like the position of the bike. I'm not set on the Tu but I don't think any other beginning standard would fit my wants out of a bike. My biggest concern is that they might be under powered, any thoughts on that?

I've ridden the TU a lot just because it's one of the training bikes that are used for the MSF at CSN. It has good acceleration for it's size, great brakes and it's fuel injected. Sometimes, the training bikes will go up for sale. Like I said, keep an open mind on the different options you have on other motorcycles. And make sure you take the basic course. Don't worry about learning ahead of time, a lot of times riders try to learn on their own or have their friends show them and it just makes things worse just because they end up picking up their bad habits without even realizing it. I compare it to learning how to golf. You can learn on your own, and pick up that ugly golf swing and have a professional try to correct your swing, or learn from a pro right from the get go. I can assure you, any MSF Rider Coach can lay the correct foundation for you to ride like a pro if you are willing to learn.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious