Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Beginning rider help.
11-02-2015, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 12:58 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: Beginning rider help.
(11-01-2015 08:29 PM)brenndenmf Wrote:  Not so much interested in the speed of 2 wheels but more for insurance and fuel economy.

Then to be totally straight with you, you may want to reconsider getting a bike...

Insurance, especially at your age, isn't gonna be cheap, and while a bike can be more economical in terms of fuel, it would be unrealistic to think you will actually save any money after the cost of the bike is factored into the equation.

Unless it is something you absolutely have your heart set on doing, you simply won't have the right state of mind to safely ride and survive on the streets. It is a gamble that each of us takes and we know that when we swing our leg over the bike, it could very well be the last time we ever do. The passion and enjoyment of riding is what drives us to advance our skills and safety to be able to continue to ride, not for the insurance savings or fuel savings - those are just added benefits.

I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a go. Hell, you may fall in love with the sport over time, but staying alive is all about your mindset and maturity. Sounds like you are good on the maturity side as you know you don't want a high performance bike, but the mindset, in my opinion, leaves something to be desired in terms of safe operation. Just saying this as a concern for your well being. We have lost so many riders in recent years and hate to see anyone added to those numbers.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Yah man I know what you mean, but in the general look of things it would be a better way for me to go, the mechanics are simple and when i need to reach something to repair it's there. Manual transmission isn't a problem for me either and your right maybe i will fall in love with the sport. What appeals to me is just the single mobility and not having to load up the whole car just to get from a to b. I'm coming into a little bit of money when I turn 18 that should perfectly allow me to pay for what I need (bike,gear,insurance,etc.) When factored against getting a car who knows the problems that I'll have trying to get a fairly priced reliable one. All and all though I guess everything comes down to the first couple of rides to determine if it's going to be a good fit for me. Do you know which bikes are used at the csn course? And thanks for your responses, started to forget that good people still live here!
11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
I believe they are the rebel 250

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
11-02-2015, 10:20 PM
A lot of stuff here.

Hi.

What everyone else said about the 250's. I'm almost exactly your size and have no problem with highway speeds. I've gotten up to 109 on my 250, so they have more get up and go than most people think (as long as youre not ken sized). And they're fun as hell.

What That Guy said about the insurance and fuel cost. I though the same thing "wow over 50 miles to the gallon! I'm gonna save so much money." But then factor in gear, more gear, new tires about three times as often as a car, a new chain every couple months, oil changes every 6,000 miles... it really evens out. A small cheap toyota corolla or something is good on the gas and dependable as hell. Plus there's less of a chance of you dying. Just being honest.

The csn classes use rebel 250's with a few nighthawk hanging around.

But yeah, Get a 250... they're cheap and awesome. Icon_biggrin

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
11-04-2015, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 12:26 PM by ftl900.)
One of the things Justin is suggesting (but didn't exactly say) is buying your bike outright, cash. Then you'll only need liability insurance.
Keep in mind that you'll also need riding gear, and if the bike is your only transportation, you're going to need more gear that's appropriate for different weather conditions.
What works well here in Vegas in November or December will not work in July or August. Although your helmet can be year-round, and you can pick up seasonal gear as the weather changes.

Here's a short article with some suggestions about buying your first bike.

FJR1300, ZRX1100
[Image: Amry_patches-sm.png][Image: visited_states.png]
11-04-2015, 01:22 PM
(11-04-2015 12:26 PM)ftl900 Wrote:  One of the things Justin is suggesting (but didn't exactly say) is buying your bike outright, cash. Then you'll only need liability insurance.
Keep in mind that you'll also need riding gear, and if the bike is your only transportation, you're going to need more gear that's appropriate for different weather conditions.
What works well here in Vegas in November or December will not work in July or August. Although your helmet can be year-round, and you can pick up seasonal gear as the weather changes.

Here's a short article with some suggestions about buying your first bike.

I dont think Justin is suggesting that..... I dont think anyone should suggest liability only for a new rider, especially an 18 year old. While insurance may cost a fortune, thats the cost of riding. If you go down in a corner, smash your bike, break your back, and have only liability, you are completely fucked. Or what happens when that uninsured guy hits you..... IMO, if you cannot afford full coverage, you should not be riding. This coming from someone who was the "liability only guy" for awhile because I wanted to ride so bad. I paid for it in the end.
11-04-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 01:33 PM by ars0n.)
liability is something you should never use on a motorcycle. If you cant afford to have proper insurance and that includes some kind of medical coverage..i would hold off.. If you are going to be riding out on the streets, remember that 50% of all drivers in nevada DO NOT have insurance or adequate insurance. I agree with the statement if you cant afford full insurance you shouldnt be riding. My first bike was stolen right out from under me after I had just saved 2 summers up for it. And now had nothing to show for it but a liability insurance stub. IF I had been in a wreck or other, which I was about 4 years ago, and had full insurance. I probably wouldnt have my bike back and still be paying hospital bills..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
11-04-2015, 01:34 PM
My brother got in a wreck. He hit a parked car (inexperience in the rain) and had liability only, spent weeks in the hospital, totaled bike, and still has back problems to this day. He had to claim bankruptcy on the medical because he could not afford to pay it.

If you cannot afford full coverage with UM/UIM, do not get a bike.
11-04-2015, 01:40 PM
What's good for you isn't necessarily what everyone else needs. All my bikes are paid for, and have theft insurance on them. I'm not financing a new R1 or Diavel so I'm not that concerned about protecting my financial investment. So I'm fine with liability and theft on my bikes- theft insurance is very cheap.
I often forget that not everyone has medical coverage. I've got great medical insurance (2 policies actually), so I'm very ok with liability only.

FJR1300, ZRX1100
[Image: Amry_patches-sm.png][Image: visited_states.png]
11-04-2015, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 02:11 PM by ars0n.)
If you have other means of making sure you are covered then go for it! I pay 67 bucks for full insurance on my 750.. I spend more on that in beer a month. When I was 20 though, I was paying about 150... pretty close to beer money.. lol

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious