Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Another newb
10-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Another newb
Hey guys my name is Yoshi. I just picked up an Sv650 last weekend. I've been riding around for the last few days solo just getting use to the bike and working out the small bugs. The only thing I haven't figured out is why my battery keeps dieing overnight. Maybe once I get some time I'll star coming out to the meets and after while doing rides also.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2014, 11:53 PM
RE: Another newb
Something could be draining the battery. But my guess would be the battery needs replaced as it's not holding a charge.
Welcome by the way

You only get back what you put in!
10-24-2014, 06:00 AM
Welcome!

"How do you ride with fear? You just ride, because there is no other way. Eyes up, Lean in and Accelerate."
10-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Welcome

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
10-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Welcome!

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
10-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Welcome. How long have you been riding?

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I've been riding for about a week now. Whiles it's my first motorcycle I've got experience on two wheels from beforehand.

The battery is brand new so I really hope that isn't the issue. I got some free time now that the festival is over so I'm gonna try and figure out what the lil gremlins are.
10-27-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 03:03 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
the battery isnt likely dying overnight. its probably dying when you ride it. first gen SVs and some second gens were NOTORIOUS for failing regulators and thus would not charge while running. an easy fix: find a MOSFET regulator from an 08 or newer ZX-10 and slap it on. They are far more efficient, linear and cooler running. Heat kills electronics and older shunt style (cheaper) regulators generate an immense amount of heat dumping excess voltage to ground. placement is also horrible under the tail fairing as there isnt any real air flow to cool it.

I have changed out a few SV regulators in recent months from this. fix this before riding it too much as a failing or bad regulator can take out other components both up and down stream from it (battery and stator = big bucks)

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
10-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the site! Get with That guy and get yo battery fixed! =D

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
10-28-2014, 10:03 PM
I strongly suggest you at least take a refresher course from CSN. Las Vegas is not the most motorcycle friendly places to ride, if fact it's one of the most challenging places to ride in my opinion, you really have to ride smart with a lot of street strategy. Don't forget to gear up!

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious