Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Aftermarket clip-ons - Any one try'em?
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Aftermarket clip-ons - Any one try'em?
So like the title says, I was wondering if anyone has tried aftermarket clip-ons. What was install like? How do they feel? Any change in steering feel?

I was considering getting a set of the Three piece woodcraft ones since you can replace the bar without taking apart the front end. They aren't cheap though at $150 a set. Used stock ones on eBay are about $70 a set.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 08:12 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: Aftermarket clip-ons - Any one try'em?
I have used vortex and woodcraft in the past and the woodcraft clip-ons were, IMO, superior to vortex in terms of value. They offered more features for the money. Vortex was still nice by all means.

Install is pretty straight forward as long as you get them correct size for the clamps. Only complaint, and again this was back in the day, was that the locating pin holes were not drilled in the bars (and I suspect they still arent) so you have to break off or grind down the pins on your handlebar controls and then make sure you can clamp them down enough that they dont move. On my CBR, I used a peice of heat shrink to make a sleeve on the bar for a really snug fit for my switch boxes.

Other than that, the bling factor is pretty cool with them. I say go for it. They are worth it, to me. Steering feel is the same, but can change depending on how you adjust the bars, more or less drop, more or less sweep, ect can change the leverage or feel of it - the geometry of the bike does not change but you can set them to a more aggressive position for different ergos which can give you a perceived change.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
02-02-2014, 08:31 PM
RE: Aftermarket clip-ons - Any one try'em?
I've got a set of Vortex clip on's on my Gixxer...no issues. My bike was crashed at the track (not my fault I might add) so the install was done by LV Dyno Tech during the crash repair. Like That Guy said, the degree of drop is probably one of the most important things to consider if you make the switch. For my bike, Vortex only offers 0 degree, or 7 degree. This "drop" is the amount of drop from where they connect to the fork tubes and slop downward toward the ground as you move toward the end of the clip on. I got the 7 degree drop because that is most like stock clip ons, and 0 degree kinda like a dirt bike. Oh, and make sure you don't forget the bar ends...at least, the Vortex ones don't come with them.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious