Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Advice on gear?
10-12-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 09:07 PM by Mohler.)
Advice on gear?
Just got a used leather suit today, alpinestar GP Pro, because I am planning on going to the track with trackXperience the first weekend in Nov when they come to SMMR. Anyway I don't really have any in between gear right now. Either full leather suit with race boots or a cheap fabric jacket with minimal armor, some gloves, dickies pants, and vans. Where do I draw the line and wear my leathers on the street if at all?

Just don't want to attract a bunch of attention especially from cops but they are to protect me in a crash and I feel I'm in more danger in red rock/mt Charleston than at the track. Dilemma.

Thanks for your opinions!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2016, 07:43 AM
RE: Advice on gear?
Ware the gear that you want! So long that it's some sort of gear. I would prefer getting hassled by the po-po than worry about looking over "dressed"!!
Besides, the cops have better things to do than mess with you over your attire..

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
10-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Get a good pair of boots. I ride in my riding boot always

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
10-13-2016, 04:39 PM
A good pair of riding boots go a long way, Can be used for street and track, same thing with gloves. The safest you are going to be on the street is in a full leather suit. No doubt about it. However, being comfortable and enjoying the ride is also important. When in a race suit you are stuck to a certain position, need to pee? pain in the ass, poop? fuck that shit. Eating? Going to a friends etc? May be better to find a good pants + jacket combo. Most of the seasoned riders have more than 1 set of clothes or jackets/pants etc. Different times of the year, different types of rides/riding.. I have a 60 dollar pair of jeans with built in padding I bought from cycle gear like 8 years ago, still going strong. Jackets are another story, I have perforated leather for the summer and plain ol leather for the winter. I have leather pants and demins. I have a full track suit as well. Slowly ease into the things you really need. A track suit is the most expensive purchase when it comes to track days/track riding. So at least you got that part out of thew way! =D

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
10-13-2016, 05:05 PM
Comfort and safety are key. Riding jeans, leather jacket, casual looking Icon riding boots and leather gloves are my everyday. Like arson said, get a start up set of comfortable gear and work on your collection as you can.
Anything is better then running around flashing skin. Cause asphalt don't care! But spend time at cycle gear and see the diversity they offer for gear.

You only get back what you put in!
10-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Also, most everybody has a fav place to shop at. Loyalist to a brand and such, I myself look for a good deal. Cycle gear is good for local and got to have it right now kinda stuff but if you can wait a couple 3 days or so online shopping is good. Revzila is a great online shop, and they have a warehouse here in Vegas, another good spot is http://www.motorcyclegear.com, they have "closeout" section that you can save like 50-60% on gear.
Anyway just food for thought.

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
10-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advice! Went for a ride in all my gear and no one seemed to pay any attention so that was good. I will definitely check out the close out sections though for some slightly more casual gear
10-14-2016, 12:06 PM
(10-13-2016 06:31 PM)Junior Wrote:  Also, most everybody has a fav place to shop at. Loyalist to a brand and such, I myself look for a good deal. Cycle gear is good for local and got to have it right now kinda stuff but if you can wait a couple 3 days or so online shopping is good. Revzila is a great online shop, and they have a warehouse here in Vegas, another good spot is http://www.motorcyclegear.com, they have "closeout" section that you can save like 50-60% on gear.
Anyway just food for thought.

One thing to note is that Cycle gear, on all Bilt and Sedici stuff has a LIFETIME warranty. I've bought their $160 gloves probably 4 years ago and have gone through at least 10 sets of gloves. As a daily rider my shit gets abused. Have also gone through probably 3 jackets and another 3 or 4 riding pants. Once again, I probably put WAY more wear and tear on my gear than anyone else on this board, so for me, the warranty has been a life saver. But you won't find that on online gear.

For the upcoming winter I'm actually going to invest in a set of Cycle Gear's Hotwired heated gear. I already have a jacket and gloves from Gerbing's, but the warranty process involves mailing it back to Iowa or wherever any time that the elements break. Between shipping it there, back, and fixing it, that means I don't have the gear in the middle of winter for at least 2 weeks, if not longer. With the Cycle Gear brand if one of the elements breaks (remember, they're just thin metal resistors) I just walk in and walk out with a new one.

As far as riding, do what makes you feel comfortable. When riding the Rock or Charleston there's always other sportbikers who wear their track suits, given that it is curvy, with the potential for loose gravel etc. As far as street riding, that's gonna be a bit of a tougher call. I know for me since I'm primarily wearing to work I have to be comfortable. Have a pair of Bilt Ironworker pants (Kevlar & pads), gauntlet gloves, Dianese half-boots, which still cover the ankle and are super protective but not restricting like the full boots, and a Sedici textile jacket.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious