Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
1st track day, any tips for a noobie
09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
1st track day, any tips for a noobie
Hey guys, was thinking of finally doing a track day in the next month or so (excited and nervous at the same time lol), was wondering if you guys have any tips for first time riders?? I think I pretty much have all the safety gear I need (leathers, boots, gloves etc), but what about the bike.

Can I pretty much just go from the street to the track? I know you have to tape up your lights and mirrors, but is that pretty much it? Any tips are appreciated Icon_thumright

Buy my stuff lol Shoei RF1100 faceshields for sale (should fit x12s too)

Bilt and teknic mesh jacket (small)

http://scsportbikes.org/Thread-Harbor-Fr...ess-12-ton
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: 1st track day, any tips for a noobie
Don't crash! Angel
09-19-2012, 11:43 PM
(09-19-2012 10:10 PM)Mustang Wrote:  Don't crash! Angel

This!

You have to tape everything up, and make sure none of your lights work (they don't want you distracting other riders). The easiest way is to pull the fuses for your lights, then put them back in later.

TAKE THE CLASS! A lot of track organizations offer a free beginner class, and I really can't recommend it enough. Yes, they take it slow, and depending on your level it can be a bit tedious to go over body position again. But they'll make sure you're safe, give you great lines, and by the end of the day you'll be ripping it up like a natural.

Oh... and don't lock up the rear... GARY

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
09-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Only if you want to power slide into the corner!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
The main thing to remember is that there is nothing at stake for being fastest, and no problem with being slowest. Just take it easy and only do what you're comfortable doing. Learn to trust your tires and that they WILL actually let you lean far enough over to get a knee down (this was incredibly hard for me initially), but, with that being said, don't let getting your knee down be your only goal. It will happen when you're ready for it to happen and you've got your body position, corner entry speed, proper racing line all sorted out.

Try to put together a checklist of all the items you'll want/need at the track to make your track day as comfortable as possible. As you load your truck/car (assuming you're towing the bike rather than riding it, which I wouldn't suggest doing), scratch those items off the list. This way, you'll be more relaxed when you get there because you'll know for sure that you didn't forget anything. If you do make up a checklist, make sure your bike key is the very first thing on that list. Since you're not riding the bike, it's very easy to overlook the fact that you don't have the key.

More than anything, just go out there to have fun and learn something. I usually have something I work on each track day. Maybe one time I'm working on getting on the gas sooner coming out of turns, another time I might work on my overall corner speed, another time I may work on braking later for a given turn, or whatever. Just make sure that you stay relaxed and have a blast. No point in paying for a track day just to get yourself all stressed out.
09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
The class is the best thing. I learned more in those 8 hours than I have the whole time I have been riding. Remember that you are there not to see how fast you can and your not there to prove anything to anybody. Yes, track days allow you to go hella fast, but remember that your are there to learn what your bike can do. Ride as fast as you feel comfortable and don't expect to drag your knee your first trackday. I don't know how many times I have seen guys with the large egos and on 1k's, that think that just because they can pop a wheelie or do stunts, that they know how to go fast around a corner, those were the first ones to toss their bikes. Seen it many times. Ask questions and talk with other riders that are there for pointers. It's all about technique. The speed comes when the technique is correct. Make sure you have good tires too. That's my $.02.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Read Twist of The Wrist 2 a couple times, Kieth Code knows a couple things about turning.
09-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys appreciate all the tips. I'm definitely signing up for the class, I need all the help I can get, and it's free lol. How do the classes work? Is it just a 1 hour thing?

And in regards to the tires, I'm pretty much using the stock tires, I only have 4,000 miles on them so they're fairly new, but do level 1 riders usually switch out their tires for track days?

Buy my stuff lol Shoei RF1100 faceshields for sale (should fit x12s too)

Bilt and teknic mesh jacket (small)

http://scsportbikes.org/Thread-Harbor-Fr...ess-12-ton
09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
I did my first couple trackdays on my stock tires and there were ok. As my speed increased, they got a little greasy. I now have Q2's and they are awesome. I wold recommend getting a pair. Very predicatble. And you acn use them on the street and at the track.

The track sessions are broken up into 3 levels. Beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Each group gets 20 minutes on the track every hour. So in one day you can get up to 7 or 8 sessions depending on how long the trackday runs. For the class the beginners usually go the last 20 minutes of each hour. During the first 40 minutes you are receiving instruction in the class. Then when you go out, the instructors will lead or follow and then give feedback when you come back. Class, track, repeat. So you actually get a good 5 or 6 class sessions before the instructors completely cut you loose.

09-20-2012, 04:26 PM
What kind of bike do you ride and what kind of tires are on there now?

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious