Rate Thread
04-11-2014, 03:12 AM
RE: nitrogen
well there is some other things about nitrogen as well. Aside from its lack of expansion/contraction with temperature (moreso an issue when running the tires hot from use rather than ambient temps), but it is also a physically larger molecule. Contrary to popular belief, rubber tires do "breath." Air can not only seep from the bead of the tire but through the tire as well. In theory, nitrogen should help prevent pressure loss over time as you would see with regular air. In practice, however, I have found that not to be as much the case. While it does seem to make a marginal difference, the cost is usually not worth it.

Just use air. check you pressure often. Pressure doesn't need to be spot on perfect every time as most sport bikes allow a wide range of pressure. Your bike, usually on the swing arm left side, will have a sticker telling you what pressure to run. Remember, this is an EPA thing so the pressures are usually pretty high to reduce rolling resistance. for better traction you can run lower pressures but generally at the cost of fuel mileage and tire wear. Its a compromise. For example, my RC recommends 36 front and 42 rear. I usually run about 32-33 PSI front and rear. I have found that the difference in MPG is negligible and the grip is WAY better and more planted feeling. The ride is also more conforming and comfortable. I am sure this is at the expense of tire life but I'm good with that in exchange for better traction. The tires also warm up faster with the lower pressures.

Some people run as low as 26-29 PSI but usually only for track use and I DO NOT suggest that for the street. 30 is about the lowest I would run if I was really pushing the tire.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 08:12 AM by JetMech.)
(04-11-2014 03:12 AM)That Guy Wrote:  well there is some other things about nitrogen as well. Aside from its lack of expansion/contraction with temperature (moreso an issue when running the tires hot from use rather than ambient temps), but it is also a physically larger molecule. Contrary to popular belief, rubber tires do "breath." Air can not only seep from the bead of the tire but through the tire as well. In theory, nitrogen should help prevent pressure loss over time as you would see with regular air. In practice, however, I have found that not to be as much the case. While it does seem to make a marginal difference, the cost is usually not worth it.

Just use air. check you pressure often. Pressure doesn't need to be spot on perfect every time as most sport bikes allow a wide range of pressure. Your bike, usually on the swing arm left side, will have a sticker telling you what pressure to run. Remember, this is an EPA thing so the pressures are usually pretty high to reduce rolling resistance. for better traction you can run lower pressures but generally at the cost of fuel mileage and tire wear. Its a compromise. For example, my RC recommends 36 front and 42 rear. I usually run about 32-33 PSI front and rear. I have found that the difference in MPG is negligible and the grip is WAY better and more planted feeling. The ride is also more conforming and comfortable. I am sure this is at the expense of tire life but I'm good with that in exchange for better traction. The tires also warm up faster with the lower pressures.

Some people run as low as 26-29 PSI but usually only for track use and I DO NOT suggest that for the street. 30 is about the lowest I would run if I was really pushing the tire.

- Justin

This. And you can't go wrong running your bikes mfg recommendation. Suzuki recommends 36 F & R. When I used to ride the street, that's what I followed. For the track, I will run 28 in front 24 in rear. That's neither here nor there.

Airliners use nitrogen to have better control of tire pressures especially when the operating temperature of an aircraft wheel assembly can go from -60 to 300 C (average brake temps after landing) in a matter of minutes. Not that the tire will get that hot, but much of that heat will cause an increase in pressure of 20-30 PSI. Plus, the nitrogen won't cause explosive failures.

It's entirely up to you. If you have a source of nitrogen that's free, by all means use it. If not, then it won't make a bit of difference if your not using it. Riding around in LAS during the summer is hard on any tire regardless of what it's filled with.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
01-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Ken if you still want nitrogen i know a gut that works at a place with the hookup.

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
01-01-2016, 09:25 PM
not worth ittttt

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
01-02-2016, 12:14 AM
Not worried about it anymore. Now that I have a few miles in Vegas under my belt

You only get back what you put in!
01-02-2016, 10:56 AM
(01-01-2016 09:25 PM)ars0n Wrote:  not worth ittttt

I was. Being a smart ass I'm the hook up

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life

[-]