Rate Thread
07-12-2015, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 11:06 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: new here
Couple of things that I have learned in my 16 years of riding (and never having been down sans once due to mechanical failure). Realize that these are generalizations and not specifically targeted at you per se.

1) You are a new rider on a very high performance machine. A fine bike for sure but probably a less than preferred choice as a starter. This is for a few reasons... you are still in the honeymoon stage of riding. Everything is very exciting and glamorous right now and that creates a lot of temptation to try and push yourself too far beyond your limits. You get that mentality of "my bike can do it and so can I." While having a capable machine is a good tool for learning, you have to remember that an experienced rider on a less capable machine will be faster and safer than an inexperience rider on a very capable machine. A modern Super Sport type bike can be less than forgiving with mistakes and oversights. Do not let yourself fall into this "I can do it" mindset as it will get you killed. We have all been there, trust me. I was lucky and escaped in tact - others not so much. That being said, just remember to keep your head on straight and realize you are not invincible and that your skills are NOT determined by the bike you are on. DO NOT let anyone talk you into, or push you to do something you are not comfortable with. Only you know your own comfort limits - no one else does. Peer pressure can be a bitch and that desire to fit into the crowd or group can be very strong. You need to fight that and ride your own ride. Like Vegasrider said, its mostly all in your head. You need to keep your ego in check.

I have been riding a long time, and consider myself a very capable rider - others can vouch for me on that as well, but I will tell you that the moment I swing a leg over my bike and do not feel that little sense of fear in the back of my mind, I will hang up my leathers and get out of the sport. being too comfortable on a motorcycle is dangerous. Every time I get on a bike, I realize that this could be the last time I do. That keeps me focused on staying alive.

2) Never assume anyone will notice you - ever! I see soooo many new riders, even after having some saddle time logged, swing a leg over a bike and ride around like they would in a car. They soar through intersections assuming that just because they have a green light, all is clear and nothing will ever happen. - or worse, get the mindset of "well if they hit me, it will be their fault." While that may be OK in a car (although you should be doing the same in a car too), you have to remember that even a slight accident or bump at any moderate or above speed can be deadly to a motorcyclist. Never assume that the intersection is clear. Never assume that the car in the left turn lane ahead of you sees you. Never assume that the car waiting to turn right can see you. They cant. You have to actively run through scenarios and exit strategies in your head all the time for all situations. At first this can be daunting and even exhausting, but with practice it becomes second nature. I actually enjoy it sometimes now, its a challenge to try and figure out all of the possible scenarios for any situation. Just don't let it distract you in the process. Usually the safe outcome is lowering your speeds for intersections and being careful and deliberate with your lane choice and positioning to balance being visible with the "what if" exit strategy.

3) learn your technique. Don't let your friends dictate how you ride (unless you are doing something very dangerous - you may want to listen then). They have their own techniques and styles and those may not work for you. Be open for suggestion, but remember that what they say is not always the word of god. There are correct and incorrect ways to ride when it comes to technique. Vette the sources. If someone is telling you that your are doing something wrong, look at how they do it, then look at how everyone else does it. compare and make a decision for yourself. again, this comes back to the peer pressure thing. Most new, younger riders learn how to ride from passed down "knowledge" from other riders. Generally the information passed down tends to be the bad habits that guy learned from the guy that taught him those bad habits. Ultimately, nothing takes the place of proper training and lots of practice.

There is an old saying that goes, when you start riding motorcycles, you start out with an empty bag of experience, and a full bag of luck - the goal is to fill up the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Get signed up for the course, get your proper licensing and insurance, get good gear and get out there and ride. We look forward to riding with you! We are a very safety oriented group here and welcome riders of all styles and skill/experience levels and are happy to be a part of helping every member grow as a rider. We've all lost folks we've loved and cared about and want to do what we can to minimize that, both through proper education and rider training, as well as putting out a good image of the sport to the public. So may people see some jackass on a motorcycle doing triple digits down the highway and that will leave a sour taste in their mouth about motorcycles. We want to change that perception.

For most of us, riding is a passion. For me personally, I can not even picture my life without motorcycles. I realize that is a bit of a cliche, but its true. It is my relaxation and meditation time. It allows me to clear my head and focus on riding and riding alone. I could care less what anyone else thinks about me or how I ride. I'm not in it to look cool or try and be the fastest or the best. I ride for me and me alone. I carry the belief that if you ride for any other reason than just yourself, you probably should find another hobby because you'll live longer.

Welcome to the group!

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Well said Justin!

I'm going to have to steal your empty bag of experience with a full bag of luck quote, that's awesome!

Most crashes are preventable, it's all about knowing How, Where and What to look for when we ride, especially in traffic! Just like Justin mentioned, we all hear about the rider who crashed because the driver failed to yield the right of way to the rider, but after it's all said and done, it's the riders fault because he or she failed to anticipate or play out the scenario of What If?
07-18-2015, 12:48 AM
+1

Part of the reason why I've been riding for 4 years with as many miles as I have, and have yet to be in a 2 vehicle accident (knock on wood) is because I recognize that no matter what, it's my fault. Assume that each and every driver is a blind old asian lady. When they cut you off, don't get mad. Being a jack-ass and not seeing you is what comes natural to cagers. Every time I get cut off I silently berate myself for not having seen it coming and preparing myself for it. Ultimately while you may have the legal right of way, cagers have Darwin's right of way, which trumps yours each and every time.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
07-18-2015, 02:15 AM
(07-17-2015 08:54 PM)VEGASRIDER Wrote:  Well said Justin!

I'm going to have to steal your empty bag of experience with a full bag of luck quote, that's awesome!

I'll have my people send your people the contract for royalty payments...

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious