Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Vortex Rearset Footpeg Removal
07-20-2015, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 07:25 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: Vortex Rearset Footpeg Removal
(07-20-2015 05:57 PM)R3K Wrote:  Justin, I sent you a PM about a week ago or so, but do you still to bodywork repair? I've got some track plastics that I need to show some love but I've never done it and I'm looking for a back up option in case I fail.

Be happy to give you some guidance. I prefer to teach instead of doing for people so I'm happy to help out. I have some tricks up my sleeve for lots of unconventional fixes that work well.

Never got a PM from you.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2015, 08:34 PM
(07-20-2015 05:54 PM)ars0n Wrote:  He said penetrate.

That made me giggle. We guys are easily entertained
07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
(07-20-2015 07:24 PM)That Guy Wrote:  
(07-20-2015 05:57 PM)R3K Wrote:  Justin, I sent you a PM about a week ago or so, but do you still to bodywork repair? I've got some track plastics that I need to show some love but I've never done it and I'm looking for a back up option in case I fail.

Be happy to give you some guidance. I prefer to teach instead of doing for people so I'm happy to help out. I have some tricks up my sleeve for lots of unconventional fixes that work well.

Never got a PM from you.

- J

Sounds good. Weekends are what works best for me...are you around most Saturday's?
07-20-2015, 09:39 PM
(07-20-2015 08:35 PM)R3K Wrote:  

Never got a PM from you.

- J

Sounds good. Weekends are what works best for me...are you around most Saturday's?
/\/\/\ this statement makes me giggle

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
07-21-2015, 02:39 AM
(07-20-2015 08:35 PM)R3K Wrote:  

Never got a PM from you.

- J

technically... but I sleep Saturdays because I work saturday night. I am usually only available Monday and Tuesday... sometimes Sundays. Day is hit or miss, evenings and nights are better on those days.

- Ken "No Neck"

07-23-2015, 06:20 PM
That's gonna be tough because I'm only off on Sat & Sun and I have no time in the evenings during the week because I have to take care of my girls. Let me know if you have a Sunday free and I'll see if it matches up with my schedule and maybe be can at least get together for you to look at the bodywork and maybe advise me on that I can do.
08-02-2015, 09:01 AM
UPDATE:
I'm finally good to go with this footpeg replacement nonsense. Here's the puzzling part. I couldn't get the peg out of the assembly without taking a hammer and punch to it, then couldn't get the bearing that came out of the bracket to slide off of the footpeg without sawing off part of the inner end of the footpeg. Once I got my new footpeg in, I was all set to try to oven/freezer method that That Guy suggested, and just before I went to preheat the oven, I decided to just TRY to see if the new peg would go into the assembly at all and alakazaam-alakazee it went right in with absolutely no force whatsoever. No twisting, pushing, lubing, nothing, it just fell into place. While I'm grateful that it went in with no hassles, I can't help but be puzzled as to why it wouldn't come out just as easily. I could see if it was a part that got hot from time to time because I know those types of parts can be a bitch to remove, but a footpeg? Confused Anyway, thanks for all the advice fellas, see ya at the track!!!
02-04-2016, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 04:41 PM by Rev. That Guy.)
(08-02-2015 09:01 AM)R3K Wrote:  UPDATE:
I'm finally good to go with this footpeg replacement nonsense. Here's the puzzling part. I couldn't get the peg out of the assembly without taking a hammer and punch to it, then couldn't get the bearing that came out of the bracket to slide off of the footpeg without sawing off part of the inner end of the footpeg. Once I got my new footpeg in, I was all set to try to oven/freezer method that That Guy suggested, and just before I went to preheat the oven, I decided to just TRY to see if the new peg would go into the assembly at all and alakazaam-alakazee it went right in with absolutely no force whatsoever. No twisting, pushing, lubing, nothing, it just fell into place. While I'm grateful that it went in with no hassles, I can't help but be puzzled as to why it wouldn't come out just as easily. I could see if it was a part that got hot from time to time because I know those types of parts can be a bitch to remove, but a footpeg? Confused Anyway, thanks for all the advice fellas, see ya at the track!!!
Im only 6 months late on this.... but likely the bearing was stuck due to oxidation of both the aluminum peg and the bearing outer race. contrary to popular belief, aluminum oxidizes (kind of like rusting if you will) with only exposure to oxygen (unless hard anodized which is basically a chemically forced form of oxidation anyway) and can actually form an crust of sorts over the surface that is less dense than the substrate and thus increases in mass. same with the bearing steel. Technically bearing steel is stainless steel but depending on the amount of chromium (does not oxidize with exposure to oxygen and moisture) in the alloy, they can still oxidize (rust) even though you cant see it with the naked eye. similar to the aluminum oxide, it is less dense and increased in mass. they don't actually rust together like 2 pieces of steel would, but instead create a mechanical interference that locks them into place.

- J

- Ken "No Neck"

02-05-2016, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2016 06:40 PM by R3K.)
(02-04-2016 04:40 PM)That Guy Wrote:  
Im only 6 months late on this.... but likely the bearing was stuck due to oxidation of both the aluminum peg and the bearing outer race. contrary to popular belief, aluminum oxidizes (kind of like rusting if you will) with only exposure to oxygen (unless hard anodized which is basically a chemically forced form of oxidation anyway) and can actually form an crust of sorts over the surface that is less dense than the substrate and thus increases in mass. same with the bearing steel. Technically bearing steel is stainless steel but depending on the amount of chromium (does not oxidize with exposure to oxygen and moisture) in the alloy, they can still oxidize (rust) even though you cant see it with the naked eye. similar to the aluminum oxide, it is less dense and increased in mass. they don't actually rust together like 2 pieces of steel would, but instead create a mechanical interference that locks them into place.

- J

you need to go ahead and open up a shop Justin. or at least a how to YouTube channel!Icon_thumright
02-06-2016, 12:51 AM
(02-05-2016 06:32 PM)R3K Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 04:40 PM)That Guy Wrote:  

- J

you need to go ahead and open up a shop Justin. or at least a how to YouTube channel!Icon_thumright

Hahaha... I can neither confirm nor deny that I am working on a YouTube channel already...

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious