Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Vortex Rearset Footpeg Removal
07-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Vortex Rearset Footpeg Removal
Okay, who has the skinny on how the hell to remove the Vortex footpeg from the Vortex rearsets? I'm trying to replace my right side footpeg and for the life of me can't seem to get it to separate from the brake lever linkage/bearing thinkgy. I got the whole rearset off the bike, no problem, then got the peg/brake lever thingy off the rearset, but can't seem to get the peg to slide out of the bearing hole that the rear brake lever pivots around. Any help/advice would be awesome.

That Guy??? I need you homie!!!!

Robby
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2015, 03:28 PM
RE: Vortex Rearset Footpeg Removal
Usually there is another bolt on the inside that holds the peg to the pedal or bracket.

Use a heat gun, some times its thread locked. also, sometimes putting the rearset on the opp side so that you can get leverage when loosening.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks Arson. I guess I forgot to mention that I also removed the allen head bolt that holds the peg onto the bracket that the rear brake pedal is on. There is nothing holding the peg on now but magic as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to get busy with a punch and a hammer because from what I'm finding online, it sounds like that's an easy way to destroy the bearing that the brake pedal floats around and if that happens, I've just signed up to buy a whole new set of rearsets (I guess you can't buy just one side) which is what I'm trying to avoid. I lowsided the bike so I'm not sure if that is what jammed the peg into the bearing hole in the first place or not.
07-19-2015, 03:46 PM
You will have to work it out. Best to run the bolt about half way back in then whack the thing on the ground a few times (Hitting the bolt on the ground) or if you have a vice, open it enough for the peg to fit in and tap the bolt with a blunt object and it will pop out. Penetrating oil helps.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-20-2015, 03:33 AM
(07-19-2015 03:35 PM)R3K Wrote:  Thanks Arson. I guess I forgot to mention that I also removed the allen head bolt that holds the peg onto the bracket that the rear brake pedal is on. There is nothing holding the peg on now but magic as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to get busy with a punch and a hammer because from what I'm finding online, it sounds like that's an easy way to destroy the bearing that the brake pedal floats around and if that happens, I've just signed up to buy a whole new set of rearsets (I guess you can't buy just one side) which is what I'm trying to avoid. I lowsided the bike so I'm not sure if that is what jammed the peg into the bearing hole in the first place or not.

They come out... Usually bearings are hit or miss. I have seen some perfectly good ones that havent been wrecked that were stuck real good.

Take your time. DO NOT use a punch on anything. That is all fairly soft aluminum. like I said, run the allen head bolt in about half way and use impact tools on that, not the soft metal. If its really stuck, run the bolt in 3/4 to give it more bite and distribute the load a bit more, and use a bit more force. At this point, you havent much to loose anyway if your at the point of buying new parts. Give it a shot. It will eventually come out.

- Ken "No Neck"

07-20-2015, 05:05 PM
(07-19-2015 03:46 PM)That Guy Wrote:  You will have to work it out. Best to run the bolt about half way back in then whack the thing on the ground a few times (Hitting the bolt on the ground) or if you have a vice, open it enough for the peg to fit in and tap the bolt with a blunt object and it will pop out. Penetrating oil helps.

- Justin

See? you guys are full of great info. I never thought to do it that way Justin, I'll give that a try. Thanks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
07-20-2015, 05:54 PM
He said penetrate.

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]
07-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Success! I threaded the bolt back into the peg about 3/4 of the way in, then locked the whole assembly in a vice, and used a punch on the center of the allen head bolt and that knocked the whole peg loose. Unfortunately, it also knocked one of the bearings out of one side of the brake pedal assembly. I couldn't get the bearing off of the peg without sawing off part of the peg but since it needed to be replaced anyway, I just went for it. Nothing like taking a saw to part of your bike to get your attention. Now I just need to get some bearing grease and press the bearing back into the pedal assembly then order my new peg and I "should" be good to go. I've got some lithium grease, would that work in lieu of actual bearing grease, or is bearing grease a heavier grease and a better application?
07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Justin, I sent you a PM about a week ago or so, but do you still to bodywork repair? I've got some track plastics that I need to show some love but I've never done it and I'm looking for a back up option in case I fail.
07-20-2015, 07:22 PM
The bearings are shielded and self lubricated (pre-greased). Any type of lubricant will work in terms of getting the bearing on. Usually I would just loosely reassemble, then use the torque of the Allen head bolt to seat everything up. Depends on the application.

Another way to do it if you are pressing the bearing on the peg is to put the peg in the freezer for a few hours. Let it get as cold as possible. Then preheat your oven to 250 or so. Put the bearing in the oven for about 20 minutes. Once it's up to temp, carefully, using pliers so you don't burn yourself, pick up the bearing, walk over to the freezer, pull the peg out and the bearing will likely drop right in place. This works by the cold contracting the peg and the heat expanding the bearing. I've used this while assembling engine case halves. Bearings that otherwise have to be pressed will simply fall into the holes, then heat transfers and locks them in place. MV Augusta and Ducati use this method in bearings and valve seats.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious