Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
"Sport Adventure"
09-11-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: "Sport Adventure"
(09-10-2014 11:06 PM)Tumbleweed Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 10:31 PM)the falcon Wrote:  Get a KLR 650 for a couple k and be done with it then. KLR's motto, triple sport, street,trail, and hiway!

I'm allergic to carburetors.

How can you be allergic to carbs? They are so simple and easy to fix. Much easier and less costly than FI once you understand them.

By the time you make a PROPER conversion that is safe to actually do long distance on-road/off-road adventures, you could just purchase a nice used adventure bike. Ive actually been looking into one myself. Something like the KTM 1190 Adventure. ALthough expensive new, I feel it could be well rewarding in the end.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Git er done! Would like to see it do 70 down a dirt road!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Of course I lust after the nice big adv bikes too. I'm just putting forward a neat alternative. If the 690 Enduro R wasn't as much as a Tiger 800 XC out the door, I'd consider it.
Personally I don't much care for that much power , something more like a GS 650 with the KLR tank would be up my alley. With an overdrive highway gear. Yeah.

Think for yourself, question authority.
09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Again, I wasn't trying to discourage you, simply just help you realize that while on the surface it seems like a good idea, but there is A LOT to consider to have a safe, reliable machine that does what you want it to do..... reliable being the main concern.

I have thought long and hard about doing this very same thing. I like to build things just for the hell of it. I have done many many things and spent A LOT of money building things on the same principals so I am all for it - but on this type project I keep coming back to the fact that in the end, with the time and money investment, it just inst worth it (to me) to reinvent the wheel. If money is no object, then by all means build away. What I was getting at is that for the same monetary investment, and a whole lot less time, you can get something that will already suit your needs, and that already has the R&D, funded by a major manufacturer, to back it up.

And I am pretty sure you don't understand the meaning of the word de-tuned. That's is like saying my RC51 is a de-tuned liter sport bike bike because it only makes 125hp... it's certainly not. Just different motor type (V-twin vs. inline 4 - two totally different animals). I realize this is really of no direct consequence to the project in question but communicating the right message is important.

Have fun and good luck with it.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious