Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
SMMR vids from 4/6/2013 trackday!
04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Thumbs Up SMMR vids from 4/6/2013 trackday!
Well...

I had a hell of a good time at SMMR on 4/6/2013! Great trackday once I got settled in after the first session or two. First time at this track. Fun, technical track, but took some getting used to. Especially for a slow guy like me.

I still have a ton to learn. I took two different shots. The first one is from my helmet. Second is from the tail section of the bike. All shot with the GoPro HERO2. I wish I would have positioned the helmet cam tilted up a bit better. It works great for the street, but I sit up a bit more for that, than the track. I didn't know that or think about it. Of course, I see this once I get home AFTER the trackday.

Then I forgot to bring the J-hook mount to mount the GoPro on the rear tail, so it's probably a little low of a shot.

Anyway, any suggestions regarding body positioning would be appreciated. I see some issues in video 2 with my body positioning, but I wanted to see what others thought. Maybe it's just in my head. Tongue

Helmet cam:

Tail cam:

Have a good one!
Mat

If you can't beat 'em...shoot 'em! Rofl2

South Bay Photography
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 01:38 AM
RE: SMMR vids from 4/6/2013 trackday!
Okay. So after watching both videos one thing stood out the most as the #1 thing slowing you down. Definitely your bike color. Painting it purple most definitely added an additional 10 seconds or more to your lap time. As you all know, violet has the shortest wavelength of any visible light. The shorter the wavelength, the more it slows you down. Whereas with red bikes (like mine and Busrob's), the longest wavelength of the spectrum shaves off considerable time, and enhances performance. It's all very technical, dealing with quantum electro-photon duality. But trust me, I've done the science. Paint it back red.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2013, 05:35 AM
LOL! Smartass. But I have to give you credit for a well thought out answer and for putting science behind it...well, trying to. Tongue

Bike stays the same color, you have to come up with some better solutions. LOL!

South Bay Photography
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, I'm no pro but it looks like your body is pretty centered in the seat. You could probably stand to get off the saddle more. One thing that helps is to get your inside foot on its toes or the balls of your feet. This helps tuck your inside leg in and lead with your knee. You can get off the saddle more since your leading with your knee and not your hips. That has helped me. Once I started leading with my knee I noticed my bike was more upright which meant I could carry more speed then increase the lean angle. I think I explained that right. If anyone feels I'm talking out of my ass, feel free to chime in. Just my $.02.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you for the comments sir and I agree with you. When looking at the rest of my videos and even the videos that my friend shot from behind me while following me, it looks like I'm just not getting off the bike like I should. Sad So, you just confirmed what I thought as well. Bad body positioning. I need to get further off the bike and also get my head further off too.

One thing I think I forgot to mention is that on a couple of laps, I scraped my toe on a couple of corners. Not my knee, but my toe (left toe). So, I thought it odd at the time, but I didn't change my body positioning. It's one of those things where I think that I'm leaning off the bike, but until you see it later, you don't realize you truly aren't off the bike like you should be. So, that's my goal for the next trackday. Get my body further off, lead more with my knee and keep my feet more tucked in. I thought I was on the balls of my feet, but maybe I need to start getting closer to my toes.

Thanks again!
Mat

South Bay Photography
04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I too scraped my toe, then my knee, then my elbow, then my shoulder.....

Seriously, it just takes practice. One thing that helped me is that I wiggle my foot back on the peg until it feels like im on my tippy toes. Another thing is to look further into the turn. When instaryed doing those two thing, it all cow together. Nice vids BTW!

04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
(04-09-2013 04:56 PM)JetMech Wrote:  I too scraped my toe, then my knee, then my elbow, then my shoulder.....

Seriously, it just takes practice. One thing that helped me is that I wiggle my foot back on the peg until it feels like im on my tippy toes. Another thing is to look further into the turn. When instaryed doing those two thing, it all cow together. Nice vids BTW!

Horse...

watermelon...

trees....

see I can do that too.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
That's what my friend suggested. Try sliding my feet back to where I feel like I'm going to curl my toes on the pegs and that would help. I know I won't be used to it, but I'll start trying it on the street to get used to it. This way it will become second nature. Smile

So, I have a lot to practice and work on. The bad thing is, most of it I can't work on it unless I'm at the track. Sad At least the full body position stuff. But I'll do what I can.

Thanks for the comment on the vids. I wish I moved the camera up more, but still, not too bad. And that camera is for sale in the For Sale section here too. Wink LOL

I could post up more vids, but I figure they would probably be about the same, so one lap each view would be enough.

South Bay Photography
04-09-2013, 05:18 PM
(04-09-2013 05:03 PM)That Guy Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 04:56 PM)JetMech Wrote:  I too scraped my toe, then my knee, then my elbow, then my shoulder.....

Horse...

watermelon...

trees....

see I can do that too.

- J

That's called a low side. Should have added my helmet into there. Not that I was dragging that stuff intentionally.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious