Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Oil and filter
07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Oil and filter
Hey Doc, why the 5w-40 T6? Better for Vegas temps?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
(07-06-2013 12:02 PM)LVBrokr Wrote:  Hey Doc, why the 5w-40 T6? Better for Vegas temps?

Thats what someone told him to use.

I don't need anger management, you need to shut the fuck up
I may have to grow up ,But I can be immature for life
07-06-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 06:58 AM by JetMech.)
Any highend full synthetic oil will work really. I tried a few and the Redline works well for me. My bike has been mainly doing track duty and after 4 track days, oil still looks new.

Just go with what your budget allows. Everyone here I'm sure has their own preference however your the one that makes the final decision. If you don't like it you can always change it. I will say this, that i really felt a difference in clutch engagement from brand to brand. Get your oil changed then tell us what you used and how it feels after.

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
(07-06-2013 12:02 PM)LVBrokr Wrote:  Hey Doc, why the 5w-40 T6? Better for Vegas temps?

Because I learn vicariously through others' mistakes. I've heard from close friends that using a different weight can cause problems. So i stuck with 5W-40. Don't have any problems, so I prescribe to a "ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
07-07-2013, 02:16 PM
(07-07-2013 02:09 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  

Because I learn vicariously through others' mistakes. I've heard from close friends that using a different weight can cause problems. So i stuck with 5W-40. Don't have any problems, so I prescribe to a "ain't broke don't fix it" mantra.

Stuck with 5/40? You do realize that your bike takes 10/40 right? 5/40 is fine. In this hot climate, really you only need to worry about the "40". When it gets colder, you should pay more attention to the cold visc. Even then, these bikes warm up faster than a car engine and thus you don't really have too many, if any, issues about a lighter cold weight.

As long as the bike is mechanically sound and in adjustment, you won't have any problems.

- J

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Rotella T6 and purolator oil filters.

Good, cheap, and available everywhere.

---