Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
NEED HELP - Fork seals replacement - Willing to pay - Tight budget
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 07:57 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: NEED HELP - Fork seals replacement - Willing to pay - Tight budget
(10-09-2013 09:21 PM)1is2many Wrote:  keep in mind that fork seals leak sometimes just from dirt/dust getting underneath them from not keeping your fork tubes clean.
a lot of times just cleaning them (your fork seals) will be fine and continue to work for a long time. seal savers do work great if this happens to be your issue, i've done it on more than one bike and you don't have to take the the forks off or apart.

While that does often work, In my personal experience, it is usually just a Band-Aid solution. Sometimes longer but if you have something stuck in a seal, that means it has been grinding up and down in the same spot on the fork tube and if its been like that for a while, that will need to be addressed and cleaned up.

That being said, I do know that there is 2 ways to do something. First is the right way to do it. Second is just the way you do it. Rarely are those the same thing. Generally one is OK with just doing something "just the way you do it" as that is usually how most things work best but something like fork seals, should be done the right way and replaced. It is cheap insurance against another failure and then having to change them anyway.

I'm not dogging the seal savers or other devices like that, but they are shortcuts, and shortcuts are things I, personally, would not want to do on critical parts like suspension and brakes.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I hope you aren't saying "the right way" to do something and "the way I do it" as in a blanket statement about me cause that's what it looks like.

Anyhow, putting shop rags and zip ties on your fork tubes is a "band aid" what I mentioned in certain cases is very far from a band aid. Nor are they shortcuts they serve a purpose, if you put on fork seals and they start leaking after 2-3 weeks (because of dust/dirt) and all it needs is to be cleaned out, that's not a short cut, it's called cleaning your fork seals. lol

I understand your point and sometimes fork seals are bad and fork tubes can get scratches and need to be addressed.

Don't miss the biggest point that was looked over, keeping fork tubes/seals clean can prevent leaking seals due to dirt/dust.
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
(10-10-2013 08:38 AM)1is2many Wrote:  I hope you aren't saying "the right way" to do something and "the way I do it" as in a blanket statement about me cause that's what it looks like.

Anyhow, putting shop rags and zip ties on your fork tubes is a "band aid" what I mentioned in certain cases is very far from a band aid. Nor are they shortcuts they serve a purpose, if you put on fork seals and they start leaking after 2-3 weeks (because of dust/dirt) and all it needs is to be cleaned out, that's not a short cut, it's called cleaning your fork seals. lol

I understand your point and sometimes fork seals are bad and fork tubes can get scratches and need to be addressed.

Don't miss the biggest point that was looked over, keeping fork tubes/seals clean can prevent leaking seals due to dirt/dust.

Absolutely not... often times the sign of a good mechanic is someone who knows how to do something vs. how your "supposed" to do something.

I was just giving my personal experience with cleaning out seals. Nothing against you personally at all and my apologies if it appeared that way. Was not my intent.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on technique and I was simply giving mine based off my real world experience. Your mileage may vary.

Where I come off mentioning it as a shortcut is that if dust and grime are getting into the seals, it is getting past the dust wipers and there is some reason then as to why it got in there in the first place. Kind of like if you were sick, you wouldn't just blindly treat the symptoms without figuring out why you got sick in the first place. That's kind of my approach. Replacing the seals is really the only way to be absolutely sure that nothing is amiss, with not only the new seals, but dust wipers, fork tubes, internal sliders and bushings, ect.

Thank you for your input though, I am certain it is appreciated by others, as well as myself. I always like to hear other peoples experiences with a technique or product to help make my own decisions about the like.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

10-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Done and Done! Needed to make a little adjustment to the tooling but sorted it out.

Who's next? JR. anytime next week is good. Tuesday morning? What year is your bike so I can pull a FSM (Unless you have one already, preferably PDF?)

Gary (LVBrokr) you up tomorrow or Monday... or even Tuesday with Jr. and make a thing of it again? Struggling to find an FSM for yours but I'll get one Im sure.

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

10-19-2013, 12:19 PM
hey im up for Tuesday morning.i have a pdf on my phone, if that works for you.i do believe you have my # Justin if not pm me for an exchange of #'s

LIVE OR DIE TRYING
10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
(10-09-2013 09:21 PM)1is2many Wrote:  keep in mind that fork seals leak sometimes just from dirt/dust getting underneath them from not keeping your fork tubes clean.
a lot of times just cleaning them (your fork seals) will be fine and continue to work for a long time. seal savers do work great if this happens to be your issue, i've done it on more than one bike and you don't have to take the the forks off or apart.

yeah i cleaned them like 4 times and still showed marks of oil all over
10-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Yep , with some minor adjustments to the tooling it went out pretty smoothly. Im glad to have fresh oil and brand new seals.... Suspension feels very good. Thanks!

(10-19-2013 12:09 PM)That Guy Wrote:  Done and Done! Needed to make a little adjustment to the tooling but sorted it out.

Who's next? JR. anytime next week is good. Tuesday morning? What year is your bike so I can pull a FSM (Unless you have one already, preferably PDF?)

Gary (LVBrokr) you up tomorrow or Monday... or even Tuesday with Jr. and make a thing of it again? Struggling to find an FSM for yours but I'll get one Im sure.

- Justin
10-19-2013, 01:18 PM
In
10-21-2013, 05:36 PM
and another one (LVBrokr) done and done. Jr. in the morning and that makes 3 sets in 4 days. Whos next?

- Justin

- Ken "No Neck"

10-21-2013, 07:19 PM
on fiyaaaaa!!!

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious