Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Help planning ZION ride
11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Help planning ZION ride
Hey everybody!

I'm taking a friend up to Zion, and I wanted to get some tips on route.

I'm posting here before I really get dug into the maps, hoping to build on your experience.

I want to avoid the highway to make for a more scenic ride. Has anyone gone up via the lake past VOF?

We'll be making it an overnight. I imagine we'll ride up in the AM, tour around Zion, catch some lodging nearby, then ride back the following afternoon.

Any tips, links, or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Help planning ZION ride
Yes, you can ride all the way up Northshore Rd thru Lake Mead past VOF to Overton, NV and then out to the I-15 North. It's an awesome ride but makes for a slower start to your trip (double the time vs the highway). You can also jump off the I-15 North in Mesquite, NV and take old highway 91 all the way to Santa Clara, UT. In Washington, UT you can jump on highway 9 all the way into Zion. There are plenty of lodges and motels near the southern entrance in Springdale, UT and you can also camp in the park, but it's getting too cold up there now.

Other nearby things to check out would be Bryce Canyon, Duck Creek, Panguitch, Brian Head, and Cedar City.

Have a safe trip!
Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
(11-06-2012 08:53 AM)green_dragon Wrote:  Yes, you can ride all the way up Northshore Rd thru Lake Mead past VOF to Overton, NV and then out to the I-15 North. It's an awesome ride but makes for a slower start to your trip (double the time vs the highway). You can also jump off the I-15 North in Mesquite, NV and take old highway 91 all the way to Santa Clara, UT. In Washington, UT you can jump on highway 9 all the way into Zion. There are plenty of lodges and motels near the southern entrance in Springdale, UT and you can also camp in the park, but it's getting too cold up there now.

Other nearby things to check out would be Bryce Canyon, Duck Creek, Panguitch, Brian Head, and Cedar City.

Have a safe trip!

Thanks!
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Try to get to The park as they open great roads! It gets busy fast

WERA # 215
CVMA #215
SCS Facebook
11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
(11-09-2012 01:28 PM)Pcone16 Wrote:  Try to get to The park as they open great roads! It gets busy fast

"As they open"? The park is open 24 hours, . It's a state highway after all. The busses and visitor center close but not the road. Nevertheless, good advice to get there early before the crowds build.
12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Just curious how the ride went. Although you can always take the back way into Utah Via Beaver Dam, AZ which leads into Santa Clara, UT, I always prefer I-15 just because the Virgin River Gorge offers awesome sweepers that I love to ride and the back way offers tight twisties on shitty roads. I have family that lives in Ivins, a small town you pass before Santa Clara going the back way.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious