Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Buying a bike again
08-11-2013, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 04:33 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
RE: Buying a bike again
(08-10-2013 08:44 PM)JetMech Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 07:49 PM)That Guy Wrote:  The guy that flipped a low power 650r wants an r1?

Send me all your info and social security number so I can take out a life insurance policy on you.

I keed I keed.

But seriously tho, don't get an r1. It's a lot of bike, even for experienced riders.

- J

Really? If I were to ever sell my 7-fiddy, in its place would go an R1.

And likely because it is a bigger, faster bike, right? case in point.

And LT, im not trying to bust your balls too bad here, just giving a friendly bit of real advise. And R1 is a serious machine - any litre bike is, and they tend to not be very forgiving if you don't know what your doing and things can go wrong in a big hurry with that kind of power. Hell, I have been riding for 15 years now and frankly see NO reason to need that kind of power (but don't get me wrong, I have an RC51, I like having it, just don't need it) on the street. A 600 is still WAY faster than you will ever really need and frankly lighter and easier to handle. In a track environment, I would rather be on a 600 than a 1000 for that very reason.

find yourself a good 600 class bike. One that has plenty of potential so that you wont grow out of it too fast, but also that is fairly forgiving as most 600s are. some more than others. Ask around, do some research. Proper due diligence will go a long way in your survival and enjoyment of the sport. But that is just my opinion. Take it as you will but dont confuse our advise as making fun of you or anything like that. I think I speak for all of us when we say we dont want to read about another fatality or bike wreck.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 09:15 AM by JetMech.)
(08-11-2013 04:32 AM)That Guy Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 08:44 PM)JetMech Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 07:49 PM)That Guy Wrote:  The guy that flipped a low power 650r wants an r1?

Send me all your info and social security number so I can take out a life insurance policy on you.

I keed I keed.

But seriously tho, don't get an r1. It's a lot of bike, even for experienced riders.

- J

Really? If I were to ever sell my 7-fiddy, in its place would go an R1.

And likely because it is a bigger, faster bike, right? case in point.

And LT, im not trying to bust your balls too bad here, just giving a friendly bit of real advise. And R1 is a serious machine - any litre bike is, and they tend to not be very forgiving if you don't know what your doing and things can go wrong in a big hurry with that kind of power. Hell, I have been riding for 15 years now and frankly see NO reason to need that kind of power (but don't get me wrong, I have an RC51, I like having it, just don't need it) on the street. A 600 is still WAY faster than you will ever really need and frankly lighter and easier to handle. In a track environment, I would rather be on a 600 than a 1000 for that very reason.

find yourself a good 600 class bike. One that has plenty of potential so that you wont grow out of it too fast, but also that is fairly forgiving as most 600s are. some more than others. Ask around, do some research. Proper due diligence will go a long way in your survival and enjoyment of the sport. But that is just my opinion. Take it as you will but dont confuse our advise as making fun of you or anything like that. I think I speak for all of us when we say we dont want to read about another fatality or bike wreck.

- Justin

Many people search out a certain type of bike based on what flavor they like. For me, it's not necessarily being about bigger and faster, it's more of preference. I like the way they look, sound, and ride. For me it would be more of track bike anyway. I've had a 600, now own a 750, and yes I would love to own an R1 some day, If I could ever afford one.

I agree a 1000 has a lot of huevos for the street like you said. A 600 is more than plenty to get in trouble. Hell, a 250 could get you in trouble too.

LT, I have never met you and Im sure that i will someday, but either way, your eventually going to get the bike that you want. I AGREE with Justin on many points and many of us will tell you the same things he mentioned. A 600 in-line 4 would be natural progression from a 650 twin, I am sure Austin will agree. My suggestion would be to go to a used bike dealer like Carter, and just take the time to sit on a number of bikes and see what fits you best. After you find one that fits, then take it for a spin. I bought my gixxer over the R6 and R1 based on a more comfortable riding position even though I wanted a Yamaha more than a Suzuki based on appearance. We can all sit here and give you advice until we are blue in the face, and
Many will agree that 600 or 750 is plenty for the street and that 1000's are too much. It comes down to having respect for the machine you ride and knowing what they are capable of and your capabilities as rider. Even though I am confident in my ability, My 750 still reminds me on occasion not to lose respect for what it can do.

Ultimately, it's your money and you will be the one riding it day in & day out. Don't let any of us influence you in any way. Get what you want and what you feel is best for your given your current riding ability. Just make sure you let me ride whatever you get!

Work Smarter, Not Harder. Cool
08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I think he meant R6 lol!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
08-11-2013, 11:24 AM
03 R6 on craigs for 2900!

28 YEAR AMA CHARTER LIFE MEMBER! I ride the BUSA and THE GOLDWING 1800. Sold the Gsxr1000 for the 2002 KLR650
08-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Get a couch like mine!!!
08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Tough crowd... and tangents...in this thread...

---
Charlie don't surf!
The Cake is a Lie!
You're gonna love my nuts!
I haven't seen Yayo...
09 Husqvarna 510 - "Bouncing Betty"
07 ZX-6R - "Crack"
07 Mean Streak Special Edition - "Blow"

[Image: 1hPfLRu]
08-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... i think everyone made their point in one way or another..

"Sin City Sportbikes was founded by Las Vegas sport bike enthusiasts in response to a desire to promote a positive and safe image of the sport. Riders and enthusiasts from all over the Las Vegas Valley have joined together in an effort to give back to a community that has helped and nurtured us."

[Image: finalbanner.jpg]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious