05-08-2013, 11:19 PM
RE: Bike Meets?
Yea man I've had it for two weeks
It's fun I just gotta be safe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah.... My ex girlfriend bought a bike before she finished the msf course and trashed it while trying to do a u turn.... I would stay off it until you finish. Just my opinion.

"250 is like the honey badger, it doesn't give a shit"

906+ years and still going!

**2013-2016 Secretary**
05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Well if it help I rode dirt bikes for about 14 years
05-09-2013, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 05:51 AM by Rev. That Guy.)
OK so dont listen to these guys when they tell you an R6 is a bad bike for a beginner. I subscribe to the thought that ANY bike can be a good beginners bike. Some are easier to ride than others, yes, BUT anything can be a good beginners bike. That being said, not all riders are good beginner riders. It really boils down to 2 things: 1) Are you comfortable with the bike, both in physical comfort and also mental comfort. If the bike scares you, its probably not a good bike to start on, and 2) do you have the discipline and respect to ride a high powered bike?

Most people fail number 2, thus making a high powered bike a bad choice. If you know you can have the discipline and respect for the power, go for it. Confidence is a big factor here and that brings it back to number 1, comfort. If you are not comfortable on a bike, then you will struggle with gaining the confidence to ride it correctly and safely.

Dont confuse confidence with cockyness though. Too many people do. If there is anything I have learned from my time as a motorcycle rider and observing other riders, it is this: There are 2 distinct types of riders, those who ride a motorcycle to ride a motorcycle, and those who ride a motorcycle because it is cool or they want a certain image or lifestyle. Dont be the later. If you are looking for an image, sell your bike and do something else - you will live longer. If you are riding because you want to ride, because it is a passion, then does it really matter what you ride? Do the right thing, take the MSF course BEFORE you go out on the bike. Riding a motorcycle without proper training or knowledge not only puts you at a MUCH higher risk, but also others around you. Its just not worth it.

But do as you will, but if you take the squid approach and want to keep riding without proper training, then I respectfully ask that you not ride with me until you get that training. If you get the MSF course in and keep a head on your shoulders, I look forward to riding with you.

Oh and 14 years of dirt riding really doesn't mean much when transitioning to the street. 2 completely different animals. Techniques are totally different, environment is completely different, scenarios, variables, physics all different. The only thing that really translates over is operation of the basic controls.

On a side note, you still ride dirt? Looking for more riding buddies. Freddy (Got2Go) is a noob to the dirt and while he can ride better than he thinks he can, I fear that if I keep trying to kill him on my more advanced rides he is going to cut the brake lines in my truck or something eventually. LOL. No one else on here really has a dirt bike other than me and Got2Go.

- Justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
(05-09-2013 05:50 AM)That Guy Wrote:  Oh and 14 years of dirt riding really doesn't mean much when transitioning to the street. 2 completely different animals. Techniques are totally different, environment is completely different, scenarios, variables, physics all different. The only thing that really translates over is operation of the basic controls.

Welcome to the site! - Ride safe and be aware of all the elements out there (bumps, wind, people not paying attention, oil, etc etc etc)

Indeed. I agree 100% with "That Guy". Even though it might help a little that you've been riding dirt bikes for that long, you still have to be careful. Styes are different

In my personal experience, I've always been riding street bikes. When I got my very first one (FZR 400 RRSP) I didnt even know how to start it, LOL.... It's a little different where I come from (Venezuela) there is no such requirements as safety courses, you just learn the hard way.

Anyway, after riding street bikes for over 8 years or so, I got myself a little scooter just to commute here and there. After 3 days I wanted to see how much that little bastard would lean and I scraped the plastics in a matter of seconds, lost control and landed on my belly hahahha, nothing serious happened except for the embarrassment; 4 days later I sold it.

Then, after my 12+ years of riding experience I went camping with a few friends back in Colorado and they took a couple 4 wheelers with them. Never rode those before so I wanted to give it a try, as soon as I jumped in and started riding I felt uncomfortable, I didnt like the riding style AT ALL, the way you have to basically turn the handles all the way to avoid rocks and all the vibration and rough riding wasn't for me. Anyway, after riding for a couple hours I started to feel more confident until I rode down a cliff LMAO! hahahah.... That sh*t was dangerous, I could've died because it was full of rocks, trees and was steep as a mofo!

Anyway, I love street bikes, its my passion and Im not really interested in riding something else, at least not at the moment. My advise to you, get to know your bike pretty well before you start to "ride it" like you should.
05-09-2013, 08:53 AM
(05-09-2013 08:19 AM)VR46 Wrote:  When I got my very first one (FZR 400 RRSP) I didnt even know how to start it, LOL

I used to have a track setup Fizzer 400. AWESOME BIKE! LOVED IT. well actually it was a pile of shit but after replacing nearly everything on it and setting it up proper, it made an amazing little bike. Loved the "mail box" tail. lol. I sort of looked like a clown on it though as I am 6'4".

- justin

"You were taking it easy right? Because I could keep up with
you and from what I understand, I shouldn't be able to do that..."
- Ken "No Neck"

[Image: sig1.png]
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
(05-09-2013 08:53 AM)That Guy Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 08:19 AM)VR46 Wrote:  When I got my very first one (FZR 400 RRSP) I didnt even know how to start it, LOL

I used to have a track setup Fizzer 400. AWESOME BIKE! LOVED IT. well actually it was a pile of shit but after replacing nearly everything on it and setting it up proper, it made an amazing little bike. Loved the "mail box" tail. lol. I sort of looked like a clown on it though as I am 6'4".

- justin

Hahaha yea, its a nice little bike... That tail I still remember, square like a shoe box! Good old days!
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys I haven't rode my bike anywhere far or busy yet I'm waiting to get thru the class and when I do I hope to meet you guys sometime
@that Guy I don't have a dirt bike anymore
05-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I still need to learn how to work the forum from my phone lol
05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the site!

+1 on all of the advice from these guys! they definitely care about their fellow riders.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Technorati Digg MySpace Delicious